Saints cruise past Citizens

The New Saints beat Bangor City 2-0 at Park Hall stadium, thanks to goals from Mike Wilde and Aeron Edwards.

The Saints comfortably beat The Citizens and took the lead early on through Wilde.  A minute later Edwards doubled the advantage in what was a very thorough and professional win in front of the S4C cameras.

Seconds into the match, Edwards nearly opened the scoring but he fired wide after being played in by Sam Finley. The home side who were playing in their newly designed away kit went in the lead after only 17 minutes when Ryan Fraughan’s delightful cross was met at the back post by Wilde, who confidently headed in past Lee Idzi. The former Tranmere Rovers winger controlled the ball down the right hand side and delivered a superb ball which the TNS number 18 connected with to open the scoring.

A minute later and it was two. Edwards who had missed an easier chance earlier on in the game, picked the ball up around 25 yards out before unleashing an unstoppable strike, in to the top corner. The energetic midfielder found a bit of space and made no mistake as he smashed his right foot shot past Idzi.

Five minutes before time, Chris Jones nearly added a third. After scoring a brilliant brace against Gap Connah’s Quay, the former Swansea City winger skipped past a couple of Bangor defenders before firing just over from inside the box. Sion Edwards then forced Paul Harrison into a save from a long range free kick as TNS went into the break leading by two goals.

Ten minutes into the second half and Jones once again was amongst the action. The New Saints broke quickly from deep and Sam Finley found Edwards, who then perfectly set up Jones. The speedy winger took one touch before hitting a powerful low drive, that Idzi did well to parry out.

Craig Harrison’s men continued to retain the majority of the ball throughout the second half and with 20 minutes left substitute Alex Darlington was played in by the powerful Wilde, only to be thwarted by Idzi in the Bangor goal. A minute later and Idzi was once again frustrating the home side after he wonderfully caught a powerful Chris Jones shot.

Late on in the game Darlington nearly added his name on the score sheet but was desperately unlucky to see his shot come back off the post. The TNS number 20 played a wonderful one two with Simon Spender and composed himself before hitting his finessed shot against the post.

The Oswestry based side comfortably played out the rest of the game and sealed their third League win on the bounce.

Full time: The New Saints 3-0 Bangor City.

The New Saints line up was Harrison, Spender, Marriott, Baker, K.Edwards, Fraughan (Darlington 69), Jones, Finley (Mullan 69), A.Edwards, Seargeant and Wilde.

The unused substitutes for The Saints were Kershaw, Draper, Williams, Rawlinson and Simms.

The Bangor City line up was Idzi, Davies, R.Edwards, S.Edwards (Culshaw 78), Johnston (C), Chris Jones (Littlemore 73), R.Jones (Hughes 85), Miley, Petrie, Roberts and Walker.

The unused substitutes for the visitors were Bould, Gibson and Corey Jones.

The referee for the game was Mr R.Harrington.

The attendance was 482.