Saints crash out of Word Cup

The New Saints crashed out of the Word Cup after losing 2-1 to Airbus UK 2-1 despite a goal from Aeron Edwards.

The Wingmakers took the lead through Rule and on the half hour mark, Field doubled the advantage. With just over five minutes left, Edwards pulled a goal back but it was too little too late for last years finalists.

TNS started well but after 13 minutes, Lewis Short did really well to get his cross in and Rule made no mistake, as he smashed his effort in from eight yards out, leaving Paul Harrison with no chance.

Airbus continued to press and minutes later, Richie Partridge went really close after finding space on the edge of the box. The former Liverpool player curled a superb effort just wide.

The home side then doubled their lead. Aaron Simms gave away a free kick on the edge of the box and Field magnificently found the top corner leaving the sprawling TNS captain with no chance.

A minute before the break, Connell Rawlinson went down with what looked as though a bad injury and was replaced by Kai Edwards.

Moments into the second half, Edwards nearly pulled a goal back. The substitute did really well to meet a Chris Jones cross but his header was scrambled off the line by the Airbus defence.

With The Saints really pushing forward, Chris Marriott hit a fantastic low drive which Jamie Coates tipped just wide. The left back cut in from the wing and fired a powerful strike towards the bottom corner which was somehow kept out by the Airbus number one.

Jamie Mullan then dribbled past a number of Airbus defenders before smashing over from the edge of the box as Craig Harrison’s side searched for a way back into the game.

With six minutes left the energetic Edwards pulled a goal back from just inside the six yard box. Simms did really well to run forward and after his shot hit the post, Edwards tapped in to give his side a chance.

With the game deep into injury time Wilde hit the post. The former Chester City striker was so unlucky to see his shot crash against the post as Airbus UK advanced into the semi final.

Full time: Airbus UK 2-1 TNS.

The New Saints line up was Paul Harrison (C), Simon Spender, Chris Marriott, Aaron Simms, Connell Rawlinson (Kai Edwards 44), Ryan Kershaw (Greg Draper 86), Aeron Edwards, Jamie Mullan, Chris Jones (Alex Darlington 69), Matty Williams and Mike Wilde.

The unused substitutes for The Saints were Taylor James, Adam Davies, Jordan Wells and Ryan Pryce.

The Airbus UK line up was James Coates, Lee Owens (Ian Kearney 83), Lewis Short, Mike Pearson, Phil Bolland, Tom Field, Glenn Rule (James Owen 46), Steve Abbott, Richie Partridge (Ryan Wade 69), Michael Roddy (C) and Sam Hart.

The unused substitutes for the home side were Steve Jones, Chris Budrys, Zyiac Edwards and Myles Hart.