Five Star Saints

The New Saints beat Port Talbot Town by five goals to one at the GenQuip Stadium to ensure that their unbeaten league run continues.

The Saints took the lead in the 21st minute through Jamie Mullan and it was the winger who doubled the lead minutes before the half time break.

Chris Marriott’s excellent free kick made it three before Mike Wilde smashed in a fourth.

Kai Edwards’ powerful header made it five as TNS cruised to another three points.

With ten minutes played, Chris Seargeant’s brilliant free kick was met by Wilde but his powerful header rattled the cross bar and bounced clear.

Moments later, Mullan’s tricky run ended up with the winger shooting wide from the edge of the box.

Sam Finley then found space just inside the box but fired his shot inches wide as Conner McFenton was left motionless.

The Saints didnt have to wait long for the opening goal as Mullan fired his side into the lead in the 21st minute. An excellent ball from Adrian Cieslewicz played the pacy winger in, who made no mistake from six yards out.

TNS nearly doubled their lead midway through the first half but Aeron Edwards dragged his shot wide after sprinting away from the Port Talbot defence.

However, the second goal did arrive in spectacular style thanks to an acrobatic volley from Mullan. Seargeant’s brilliant cross found the winger unmarked in the box and he struck a powerful volley into the top corner to give the Welsh Champions a two goal advantage.

The second half started with Martin Rose shooting just wide after being played in behind the TNS defence.

On the 59th minute, The Saints extended their lead. Marriott’s magnificent free kick nestled into the bottom corner leaving McFenton with no chance.

Five minutes later, Marriott attempted to score another free kick from near enough the same spot on the pitch but his effort was brilliantly palmed away by the Port Talbot goalkeeper.

TNS manager, Craig Harrison then replaced Finley with Alex Darlington and within seconds, the former Wrexham forward headed against the bar as The Saints continued to dominate the Corbett Sports Welsh Premier League fixture.

It got worse for the home side when Wilde thumped in a fourth goal for TNS, before Kai Edwards’ powerful header made it five nil to the visitors.

Port Talbot scored a late consolation thanks to Corey Thomas in what turned out to be the last bit of action in the game.

TNS:Harrison, Pryce, Marriott, Rawlinson, K.Edwards, Seargeant, A.Edwards, Finley (Darlington 66), Cieslewicz, Mullan and Wilde.

The unused substitutes were Mullock, Baker, Quigley, Draper and Hadjari.