All Good Things Must Come To An End – Carmarthen Town 1 The New Saints 0

All Good Things Must Come To An End – Carmarthen Town 1 The New Saints 0


Substitutions: Mullan (for Brobbel), Fletcher (for Darlington), Draper (for Cieslewicz)

On a very cold Carmarthenshire afternoon, TNS’ incredible unbeaten run finally came to an end. Stretching back to the opening game of the Dafabet Welsh Premier League season last August, a late first-half goal was all it took in the end to finally derail the reigning champions’ juggernaut.

TNS got off to a lively start, and with less than two minutes on the clock, Brobbel’s attempt on goal went straight into Idzi’s grateful arms. Pushing the hosts all the way, The New Saints played a high line, as the domination of play pushed the Old Gold back again and again.

However, as a sign of what was to come, in the 9th minute Carmarthen almost capitalised on an opportunity from a corner, as TNS eventually cleared the ball. Four minutes later, twisting and turning on the edge of the box, Quigley set himself up. The eventual shot though was well wide of the mark.

Looking lively, TNS’ number 22 replicated the move in the 19th minute. Again though, the shot failed to trouble Lee Idzi. Just afterwards, after being down injured a couple of times, Brobbel was replaced by Mullan.

As the visitors continued to create opportunities, but lack the lethal finishing touch, it was Darlington’s turn to shoot wide, with 34 minutes on the clock. However, in the dying embers of the first half, a well-delivered corner from Carroll was met by the head of Liam Thomas, who nodded it past Harrison. 1-0

Ten minutes into the second period, Quigley’s shot was well over and – with the home crowd sensing it could be their day – met with jeers from the Richmond Park faithful. Further efforts from Cieslewicz, Marriott, Mullan and Quigley again failed to drag TNS back into the game.

The introduction of Wes Fletcher again created chances but the mass of old gold proved impenetrable. As the clock ticked down, with eight to go, Mullan went agonisingly wide. With  four added minutes, although the visitors continued to push forward, it was the home fans celebrating at the final whistle.