Seventh Heaven As The Saints Go Marching On – The New Saints 7 Llanelli Town AFC 0

Seventh Heaven As The Saints Go Marching On – The New Saints 7 Llanelli Town AFC 0

The Welsh domestic triple-treble dream is still very much alive and kicking, following The New Saints’ progression into the last 8 of the JD Welsh Cup this afternoon at Park Hall.

The New Saints FC 7 Llanelli Town AFC 0

Quigley (4), Mullan, Cieslewicz, Spender


Substitutes: Darlington (Edwards), Brobbel (Cieslewicz), Spender (Marriott)


Match report

The hosts kicked off defending the car park end, where a group of vocal Llanelli Town AFC fans were gathered behind the goal.

Both sides got off to a lively start, as memories came flooding back from when the visitors were last in the top flight. It was Scott Quigley, through on goal with just the keeper to beat, who looked to break the deadlock first. Unfortunately it was over the bar.

On 10 minutes though, TNS’ number 22 made no mistake as he rose in the box to head past Craig Morris. 1-0

Four minutes later the lead was doubled as Quigley slotted past Morris. Good play from The Saints. 2-0

TNS continued to dominate not only the play, but also the chances, as a host of opportunities fell to the current JD Welsh Cup holders. Seargeant picked his spot only to be denied by Morris; Good play from Cieslewicz with the resultant shot well over; A free-kick from Seargeant on the left straight at the keeper; A right-footed shot from Cieslewicz outside the box, again at Morris.

Llanelli themselves – against the run-of-play – went close to pulling one back, when Jordan Follows, in the box, got a shot in. However, goalkeeper and captain, Paul Harrison, was alert as he made a crucial save.

In the 34th minute though, it was the current holders of the JD Welsh Cup who extended their lead. The electric pace of Mullan down the right proved to be too much for The Reds. Timing both his run and shot perfectly, Morris had no chance as a cushion was created. 3-0

The New Saints continued to dominate after the break, although a Marriott free-kick from just outside the box came to nothing. Although 3-0 down, the visitors continued to show moments of inspiration. Another good stop from Harrison maintained the three-goal lead.

It was TNS who extended the lead however. Mullan again showing his pace, and making it difficult for the Reds’ defenders, was brought down in the box. Up stepped Quigley to grab a hat-trick, as his confident spot-kick gave Morris no chance. 4-0

Although the Reds battled away, it was TNS who added a fifth goal as Cieslewicz curled one past the keeper from inside the box. 5-0

With ten minutes to go, a pin-point cross from Seargeant found the head of Quigley, only for him to head wide.

Two of the substitutes interacted for TNS’ final goal as, following more good team work, Brobbel found an incoming Simon Spender whose shot gave Morris no chance. 6-0

Almost with the last kick of the game, Quigley grabbed his fourth and The Saints’ seventh, as the visitors were glad to hear the final whistle. 7-0

All the very best to Llanelli Town AFC for the rest of the season. Let’s not forget that prior to the game, they too were unbeaten.