Super Seargeant Steals The Show – The New Saints FC 4 Barry Town United 0

Super Seargeant Steals The Show – The New Saints FC 4 Barry Town United 0

This afternoon, at Cardiff Met’s Cyncoed Campus stadium, TNS made it three consecutive Welsh League Cup victories on the bounce. Facing non-WPL opposition for the second consecutive season, the stage was set for a David v Goliath encounter.

However – as with Denbigh Town in 2015/2016 – although Barry Town United put in a determined effort, it was the current holders of the trophy who won through in the end.


Harrison, Marriott, Rawlinson, Saunders, Pryce, Routledge, Brobbel, Darlington, Cieslewicz, Edwards, Draper.

Substitutes (used): Seargeant (for Darlington), Quigley (for Draper), Mullan (for Cieslewicz)

Substitutes (unused): Baker, Farleigh, Jones, Wycherley

Match report 

Barry got off to a good start forcing two corners in as many minutes, with a good save from Harrison and an excellent block from Rawlinson denying the underdogs.

TNS were soon making chances of their own though, and some great work from Pryce down the right saw a low ball played in to Darlington that was eventually cleared.

Cieslewicz had a couple of efforts in four minutes, the first going wide and the second blocked and cleared.

In the 18th minute, a close-range poke by Brobbel produced a tremendous save from Lewis in the Barry goal. The Dragons’ shot-stopper had an excellent game, and his contribution ensured that the match remained goalless at the break.

With the game almost 1/3 of the way through, it was Brobbel again involved in the action. This time it was a corner that found the head of Edwards, that was clutched under the bar by Lewis.

With TNS’ pressure continuing in the second-half, again the Barry number one was forced into action on numerous occasions. Cieslewicz, Edwards, Quigley and Seargeant all tried to break the deadlock in vain.

Just past the 3/4 stage of the game, however, it was Barry who almost took a shock lead, when a tremendous effort from Cotterill rattled Harrison’s crossbar.

The response from The Saints though was to hit back in style. On as a substitute at the break, a curling shot from Seargeant found the back of the net, with 78 on the clock. Two minutes later, Cieslewicz, coming in from the left and firing past Lewis, doubled the lead.

The game was put to bed in the 84th minute, as Seargeant grabbed his second of the game, with a left-footed shot that gave Lewis no chance. He completed a well-deserved hat-trick, right at the end, to seal the first silverware of the season.

Barry Town United battled very well and we wish them all the very best for the rest of the season.