Saints Slip Up on Penalties

The New Saints lost 3-1 on penalties in the Word Cup Final, after drawing 3-3 with Carmarthen Town, at Latham Park.
The Oswestry side started terrifically well and went in front after only seven minutes, thanks to a great header from the influential Steve Evans. Whilst in the lead, TNS looked comfortable and were always looking likely to add to their solitary goal but soon after Craig Hughes drew Carmarthen level, with a deflected strike, that looped over Paul Harrison.
The Saints came out for the second half pumped up and were really eager to retake the lead. Sam Finley, who had already picked up a yellow card, struck an unstoppable shot from outside the box and it smashed against the post before nestling into the net. However, one minute later the scores were once again level after a powerful strike from substitute Corey Thomas.
With the game now being played at incredible pace, Thomas added another goal, this time smashing the ball into the top corner from the edge of the box, to give Mark Aizlewood and his men a surprising lead.
However, in form striker, Mike Wilde was once again on target and he brought the scores level once again with a close range header.
The match finished three all after 90 minutes and Craig Harrison’s men looked the most likely team to go on and score the winning goal in extra time but for whatever reason the chance to win it just wouldn’t come, so therefore we prepared ourselves for the lottery of a penalty shoot-out.
Carmarthen’s Tim Hicks had his penalty brilliantly saved by TNS captain Harrison to give The Saints the lead in the shoot-out. Ryan Fraughan then stepped up but his chip went just over the bar and then Corey Thomas smashed his spot kick in to give his side the lead. Alex Darlington then levelled by converting his but Liam Thomas gave Carmarthen the lead once more. Chris Seargeant then fired wide which meant that Craig Hanford’s coolly taken penalty gave Carmarthen a 3-1 lead in the shoot-out and meant that Paul Harrison had to score or it was game over. The captain missed and the trophy was heading to Carmarthen.
Carmarthen Town 3-3 The New Saints (AET). Carmarthen Town win 3-1 on penalties.