The New Saints strengthen their grip on the title

Mike Wilde in action

The New Saints beat Prestatyn Town 3-0 thanks to a brace from Mike Wilde and a Matty Williams header.

The home side took the lead after only two minutes when Wilde pounced on a mistake from the Prestatyn keeper to give the Oswestry based side a perfect start!

Shortly after the in-form striker nearly made it two but his header flew just past the post.

However, with Craig Harrison’s men in complete control the Birkenhead born front man doubled the lead. Chris Joes picked up the ball on the half way line and skipped past a couple of defenders before finding Wilde with a brilliant cross and the former Chester man coolly converted from ten yards out.

The Saints made a substitution at half time with Matty Williams replacing Chris Seargeant and soon into the second half they were awarded a penalty. Wilde stepped up and attempted to complete his hat-trick but Jonathan Hill-Dunt saved his spot kick.

Despite the disappointment, Wilde carried on plugging away and the post denied him of his third goal after a superb cross from Ryan Fraughan.

Former Notts County man Williams, who had been brilliant since coming on, met a fantastic cross from Simon Spender, to head home from close range.

With the game all but sealed, Craig Harrison decided to give Jamie Mullan his home debut and the Nottingham born winger impressed in the final few minutes with his attacking runs.

With Airbus UK losing, the gap at the top of the league grew to 11 points and The New Saints are looking unbeatable at the moment.

Full time – The New Saints 3-0 Prestatyn Town.

Attendance – 465

The New Saints line up for the game against Prestatyn Town was Paul Harrison (C), Simon Spender, Chris Marriott, Kai Edwards, Phil Baker, Chris Seargeant, Scott Ruscoe, Ryan Fraughan, Chris Jones, Alex Darlington and Mike Wilde.

On the bench for The Saints tonight were Connell Rawlinson, Aaron Simms, Scott Quiqley, Jamie Mullan, Matty Williams and Greg Draper.