Saints go down 3-1 to Legia

The New Saints lost 3-1 to Legia Warsaw in the first leg of the UEFA Champions League Second Qualifying Round.

Craig Harrison’s side started really well and really held their own against their illustrious opponents.

On 11 minutes, the Oswestry based side took a memorable lead. Ryan Fraughan opened the scoring after he played a one two with Jamie Mullan before firing an unstoppable cross which the Polish Champions couldn’t keep it out.

Despite a lot of pressure Legia Warsaw were unable to create anything clear cut and just before half time Alex Darlington hit the post after a wonderful run inside the box. The former Wrexham man breezed past a couple of challenges before hitting the post.

Moments into the second half, Michal Kucharczyk who had just come on, met a fantastic cross from Jakub Kosecki and slotted in from close range.

Minutes later, it was two. Marek Saganowski headed in from close range to give the Polish side the lead. The Saints failed to deal with the ball and the former Southampton striker nodded in.

Having taken the lead, the Polish Champions started dominating procedures but Mike Wilde nearly equalised after volleying just wide.

However, with 74 minutes gone, Legia got a third. Jakub Kosecki picked up the ball on the left and fired an unstoppable drive into the top corner, leaving Paul Harrison helpless.

The Saints battled really hard, right until the end, but the first leg finished 3-1 to the Poles.

The TNS line up was Paul Harrison, Simon Spender, Chris Marriott, Kai Edwards, Phil Baker, Chris Seargeant, Aeron Edwards, Jamie Mullan, Ryan Fraughan, Alex Darlington and Mike Wilde.

On the bench for The Saints were Greg Draper, Matty Williams, Chris Mullock, Sam Finley, Connell Rawlinson, Scott Quigley and Scott Ruscoe.

The Legia Warsaw side was Dusan Kuciak, Dosa Junior, Vladimir Dvalishvilli, Jakiub Wawrzyniak, Bartosz Bereszynski, Jakub Kosecki, Ivica Vrdoljak, Helio Pinto, Jakub Rzezniczak and Miroslav Radovic.