Saints slip up against Seagulls

A TNS XI lost 2-1 away at Colwyn Bay this afternoon, in a pulsating friendly at the Red Lion Foods Stadium.

The New Saints took the lead after only two minutes when Simon Spender met a wonderful pass from Ryan Fraughan, before smashing the ball low and hard past Josh Ollerenshaw in the Colwyn goal.

Moments later, Gareth Evans was thwarted by the TNS captain Paul Harrison, who somehow managed to block the ball from Evans’ close range shot.

Ten minutes into the game and with the Oswestry based side controlling the match, Greg Draper expertly brought the ball down and watched his delightful lob go ever so close to doubling the lead.

Midway through the half the New Zealand International forced the Colwyn ‘keeper into producing a terrific block, which denied the TNS number nine from getting on the score sheet.

The Saints dominated the first half and went into the break with a deserved lead. The second half started in a similar fashion, with Craig Harrison’s men keeping possession of the ball comfortably. Despite Steve Connor trying to make things happen for the home side, Chris Mullock who had replaced the TNS skipper had nothing to do.

On the hour mark, The Saints, who were still in complete control, shuffled the pack with Scott Ruscoe, and Luke Douglas, replacing both Chris Marriott and the goal scorer Spender.

Minutes later Jamie Ellison missed a golden opportunity to level the game, after he pulled his shot wide from inside the six yard box. With ten minutes of the game remaining John Mckenna equalised for The Seagulls.

The former TNS man controlled the ball on the edge of the box before shifting it onto his left foot and striking the ball powerfully into the top corner. The Bay then went onto score a late winner.

Ellison went through one and one with Mullock and confidently slotted the ball in to give his side the win. Colwyn Bay 2-1 TNS XI

The New Saints XI line up was Paul Harrison (C), Simon Spender, Chris Marriott, Connell Rawlinson, Kai Edwards, Sam Finley, Aeron Edwards, Matty Williams, Jamie Mullan, Ryan Fraughan and Greg Draper.

The Colwyn Bay line up was Josh Ollerenshaw, Danny Taylor, Mike Lea, Frank Sinclair, Tom Smyth, James Owen, Gareth Evans, Jamie Crowther, Nathan McDonald, Jamie Ellison and Paul Ennis.

The referee for the friendly at the Red Lion Foods Stadium was Peter Kewley.