Seasiders frustrate Saints

The New Saints lost 1-0 to Prestatyn Town at Bastion Gardens.

Lee Hunt scored the only goal of the game on the half hour mark but moments into the second half, the game was suspended for nearly an hour. Chris Marriott went down with a serious injury and the left back was down on the field until the ambulance came and picked him up.

Despite a lot of late pressure from Craig Harrison’s men, The Seasiders held on to claim a famous victory.

The Saints had the majority of the ball at the start of the game and despite Michael Parker smashing over from the edge of the box, the closest any side got was when Alex Darlington did really well to dribble past a couple of players before passing to Mike Wilde and the TNS number 18 forced Dave Roberts into a good block.

A minute later and Phil Baker fired just wide from the edge of the box after the home side had failed to clear a Ryan Fraughan free kick.

After 20 minutes, Wilde broke through on goal and as he rolled his shot into the bottom corner, he was denied by Roberts who made a great save to deny the big front man, pushing the ball out for a corner.

After half an hour, Hunt struck an unstoppable shot into the top right corner of Paul Harrison’s goal, to give the Bastion Gardens faithful the lead. The former Bala Town striker powered his shot in from range, leaving the TNS captain no chance.

The second half started in a similar fashion, with TNS having the majority of the ball before the game was stopped after Marriott went down. The consistent left back went down after a coming together with Hunt and after a long delay was stretchered off. The players had gone back into the dressing room and once the ambulance had collected Marriott, the game resumed.

The Saints brought on Greg Draper with half an hour left and the hat-trick hero against Port Talbot helped set up Kai Edwards who drove a powerful shot from the edge of the box but couldn’t beat Roberts in the Prestatyn goal.

With ten minutes to go fellow substitutes Chris Jones and Connell Rawlinson linked up well, with the TNS number 16 shooting just wide after a wonderful cross from the former Swansea City winger.

A minute into stoppage time, Wilde missed a great opportunity to equalise after some great work down the left by Jamie Mullan. The Nottingham born winger did expertly to fly past a couple of defenders before picking out Wilde at the back post and for once the 2012/2013 Welsh Premier League golden boot winner, put his shot just wide.

The New Saints line up was Harrison (C), Spender, Marriott, Baker, K.Edwards, Fraughan, Mullan, Seargeant, Wilde, Darlington and A.Edwards.

On the bench were Williams, Draper, Rawlinson, Finley, and Jones.

The Prestatyn Town line up was Roberts, Davies, Holmes, Hayes (C), Hessey, Stones, Parker, Owen, Parkinson, Hunt and Lewis.

On the bench for The Seasiders were Hill-Dunt, Stephens, France, Gibson, Wilson, Butler and Kemp.