TNS Under 14's beaten by GAP

The TNS Under 14’s lost 3-0 to Gap Connahs Quay Under 14’s at Park Hall stadium.

The game started at a very high tempo with The Saints trying to keep hold of the ball.

In a half of few chances, GAP took the lead minutes before the break. Kai Hilditch-Roberts was unable to prevent a tap in for the visitors having just denied them seconds earlier.

The Saints came out looking for the equaliser and James Lloyd nearly got it. Lloyd chased a great through ball by Rob Reynolds and he managed to lob the advancing GAP goalkeeper, only to see the ball bounce just past the post. Soon after The Saints got even closer to equalising. Billy Minshall got on the end of a great pass from Ricky Williams and smashed his shot against the post. However, against the run of play, the visitors scored a second.

As the brave Saints pushed on, Gap Connah’s Quay added a third thanks to a screamer from 25 yards out.

Steve Monk was happy with the way his side had played and said, ‘The TNS lads played and did everything that was asked of them.  It was a good game with both teams getting the ball down and trying to play football. We had a lot of possession and had some really good opportunities to score. Their third goal was a great strike which was worthy of winning any game. We will take a lot of positives out of the game and we will once again work hard in training next week.’

The TNS squad was Kai Hilditch-Roberts, Aron Jones, Zak Dobie Captain, Jamie Monk, Lucas Robert, Taps Kamutasa, Sam Postle, Rob Reynolds, Ross Hardy, Ricky Williams, Alex Rowlands, James Lloyd, Ifan Roberts, Osian Morris, Billy Minshall and Scott Williams.

Prior to the game, the Under 14’s took on Chester. Craig Williams took control of the TNS Under 14’s against Chester, whilst manager Steve Monk, was away on his C Certificate.The TNS lads made a very good start, building up from the back and keeping possession. However, despite being in control, The Saints went into half time 1-0 down. Soon after the break, Zak Dobie beat the advancing goalkeeper but couldn’t guide the ball into the corner and it came off the post before being cleared.Soon after it was two nil. Cai Hilditch-Roberst produced a wonderful save but couldn’t keep the ball out as the Chester striker tapped in the rebound from close range.

Minutes later, Ricky Williams found himself in space on the edge of the box and beat his marker before smashing the ball into the roof of the net. The young Saints then took control of the game and within moments Billy Minshall won the ball in midfield and played in Ross Hardy, who calmly slotted the ball in under the Chester goalkeeper.

During the final few minutes, Chester added a fourth to complete the 4-2 score line.

Craig Williams was disappointed with the score line as it didn’t show a true reflection of the game and said, ‘The TNS lads played some really good football, playing out from the keeper and keeping hold of the ball, being patient in their play. There were a lot of positives to take out of the game. The lads are now settling in well and playing some really nice football. They have been working hard in training and have improved in the four months that they have been together.’

The TNS Squad for the game was Matt Williams, Aron Jones, Zak Dobie, Jamie Monk, Lucas Robert, Taps Kamutasa, Sam Postle, Rob Reynolds, Ross Hardy, Ricky Williams, Scott Williams, James Lloyd, Osian Morris, Alex Rowlands, Ifan Roberts, Cai Hilditch-Roberts and Billy Minshall.

The goal scorers were Ricky Williams and Ross Hardy.

The TNS Under 15’s had a day to forget on Sunday, losing 12-0 away at Blackburn Rovers.