Saints seal Semi

The New Saints advanced into the Semi-Final of the FAW Welsh Cup after a 2-0 victory against Airbus UK thanks to goals from Mike Wilde and Sam Finley.

Wilde opened the scoring with only ten minutes left and Finley doubled the lead in the last minute of the game.

The Saints started brightly with both Chris Seargeant and Jamie Mullan forcing James Coates into saves within the first ten minutes.

Soon after, Tom Field dispossessed Seargeant and set up Ryan Wade, who controlled the ball before shooting just wide of the post.

Midway through the first half Paul Harrison did magnificently well to deny Ian Kearney from a corner and from the resulting corner kick, Aeron Edwards managed to clear the ball off the goal line, as the visitors applied some serious pressure on the TNS defence.

With half an hour played, Kai Edwards struck a powerful low drive that Coates parried into Wilde’s path but the TNS striker was unfortunate to see his close range shot come back off the post and into Coates’ hands.

Sam Hart rattled the cross bar after 40 minutes. The left back met an excellent outswinging corner but diverted his effort onto the woodwork.

Moments later, Finley shot just wide from a tight angle before the referee blew for half time with the game still goalless.

Andy Preece’s side started the second half well and Wade had a great opportunity to put his side in front but the wide man scuffed his effort wide.

Alex Darlington fired an ambitious long range drive that narrowly went wide as both sides looked to break the deadlock.

With 20 minutes left, Mullan picked out Kai Edwards at the back post but the powerful defender headed wide from inside the six yard box.

With ten minutes left Wilde opened the scoring. Mullan did superbly well to cut the ball back from the touchline and set up Wilde, who coolly converted from close range.

With two minutes left, Mullan raced through but was denied by Coates as The Saints looked to seal the victory.

However, the tie was secure a minute later when Mullan won the ball back before Finley drove into the box and fired an unstoppable strike into the top corner to ensure that The Saints would be in the hat for the Semi Final draw.

Full time: TNS 2-0 Airbus UK.

The New Saints FC TNS line up was Harrison (C), Marriott, Baker, K.Edwards, A.Edwards, Finley, Seargeant, Mullan, Wilde, Darlington (Williams 87) and C.Jones.

On the bench for TNS were Draper, Fowler, Rawlinson and Simms.

The Airbus UK line up was Coates, L.Owen (Oswell 87), Hart, Pearson, Kearney, Field, Williams, J.Owen (Roddy 84), Budrys, Jones and Wade (Abbott 83).

On the bench for Airbus were Bolland and Hassall.