Saints smash ten man Bangor

The New Saints thrashed ten man Bangor City 4-1, thanks to goals from Alex Darlington, Sam Finley and an excellent brace from Mike Wilde.

TNS went in the lead inside the first minute through Wilde’s first but within minutes, Jamie Petrie equalised. Darlington restored the lead minutes into the second half and Wilde completed his brace on the hour mark. Late in the game, Finley scored a fantastic goal from the edge of the box to ensure that Craig Harrison’s side ended up with all three points.

The Saints opened the scoring after only eighteen seconds when Wilde tapped into the empty net after Darlington had been brought down by Dave Roberts. The former Wrexham man did magnificently well to take it past Roberts and as the striker was brought down, Wilde was on hand to convert and give Harrison’s side a dream start to the game.

However, after nine minutes it was level. Petrie capitalised on a mistake from Kai Edwards and after his initial shot was saved by Paul Harrison, the Bangor number 10 calmly slotted in, to level the match.

Minutes later, Chris Jones picked up the ball in his own half and drove at the Bangor defence. The former Swansea City winger managed to dribble to the edge of the box before firing just wide.

In what was an open game, Sion Edwards headed just over from inside the six yard box as the visitors looked to take the lead.

With 31 minutes gone, Kai Edwards was replaced by Connell Rawlinson after injuring himself and within seconds Les Davies nearly added to the misery but headed just over from a Bangor corner.

With five minutes to go until the half time break, Chris Marriott superbly linked up with Wilde and Darlington, before forcing the Bangor goalkeeper into a wonderful save.

The first half ended with Bangor’s Edwards clearing Wilde’s effort off the line and ensured that the teams went into the break level.

Within two minutes of the second half, Darlington put his side back in the lead after finding the bottom corner from just inside the box. Mullan had set up the TNS number 20 and the prolific striker composed himself, before beating Roberts to give Harrison’s side a dream start to the second half.

The match got worse for Bangor when their goalkeeper, Dave Roberts, picked up a second yellow card and was sent off after fouling Jones outside the box.

Wilde then completed his brace after coolly converting a Mullan cross. The winger picked out the TNS number 18 in the six yard box and the former Chester City man made no mistake, as he gave his side a two goal cushion.

The Saints continued to bomb forward, with both Mullan and Chris Seargeant forcing substitute Nick Bould into good saves.

With 15 minutes left, Finley smashed an unstoppable shot past Bould from 25 yards out to make it four one to The Saints.

The WPL champions continued going forward in search for a fifth goal but despite substitute Greg Draper nearly beating Bould at the near post, the goal never came.

Full time: TNS 4-1 Bangor City.

The New Saints line up for the Corbett Sports Welsh Premier League fixture against Bangor City was Paul Harrison (C), Aeron Edwards, Phil Baker, Kai Edwards (Connell Rawlinson, 31) , Chris Marriott, Chris Seargeant, Sam Finley, Alex Darlington (Lee Fowler 62), Chris Jones, Jamie Mullan and Mike Wilde (Greg Draper 78).

The unused substitutes for TNS were Ryan Kershaw, Matty Williams, Simon Spender and Aaron Simms.

The Bangor City line up was Dave Roberts, Declan Walker, Robert Jones, Michael Johnston (C) (Chris Jones 46), Anthony Miley, Gerwyn Jones, Ryan Edwards, Chris Roberts, Les Davies, Jamie Petrie (Nick Bould 56) and Sion Edwards (Jamie McDaid 66).

The unused substitutes for Bangor were Joe Culshaw, Iolo Hughes and Corey Jones.