Academy Round Up


The New Saints Under 19’s beat Bala Town 1-0 thanks to a Ryan Kershaw goal at the beginning of the second half.

On a poor pitch The Saints edged out a deserved win which put one step them closer to the League title.

With two games to go Steve Evans’ side only need a point to be crowned League Champions.

In an even contest both teams struggled with the pitch conditions and failed to produce any meaningful chances in the first half.

However, Kerhsaw broke the deadlock early in the second half. The midfielder was picked out by Ryan Edwards and delicately lifted the ball over the Bala goalkeeper into the net.

The home side pushed forward but were unable to break down Evans’ side.

The TNS Under 19’s manager was pleased with the result and said, ‘It wasn’t pretty at times but the main thing is the result. It’s all about those three points at this stage and not so much the performance. During the last couple of weeks, the lads have had to show their battling skills and have stood up to the challenge magnificently.’

The team consisted of Stewart Evans, Connor Rogers, Luke Douglas, Curtis Jones, Jordan Wells, Ryan Kershaw, Dylan Jones, Fisnik Hajdari, Taylor James, Ryan Edwards and Sam Prince.


The TNS Under 16’s beat Bala Town 2-0 in what was the last game of the league campaign.

Steve Benyon’s side started off at a slowly but were awarded a penalty half way through the first half. Matt Perry converted the spot kick and within minutes, TNS were awarded another penalty. Nash Mwamuka stepped up but was thwarted by former Saint, Callum Reddington.

Lewis Evans scored a second goal during the second half to seal a comfortable victory.

The squad consisted of Andy Wycherley, Lee Killen, Jack Bates, Matt Perry, Matt Bainbridge, Harrison Millington, Greg Evans, Cal Graybrook, Lewis Evans, Ross Tyler, George Minshall, Tom Birch, Nash Mwamuka, Sam Gostage and Steve Roberts.


The TNS Under 14’s lost 4-2 to Bala despite a brace from Zak Dobie in what was the final Academy game of the season.

The Saints started brightly and looked threatening every time they had the ball. However, the home side scored two goals in quick succession to give them control of the game.

Dobie pulled a goal back after latching on to an inch perfect cross from Aron Jones.

Minutes later, Dobie drew his side level. Taps Kamutasa whipped in a great ball to the back post, which was met by Dobie and the youngster managed to beat the Bala goalkeeper from close range.

The TNS Under 14’s started well in the second half but couldn’t find a third goal.

The home side then scored two late goals to give them all three points and despite Steve Monk’s side continuing to battle, they were unable to grab another goal.

Monk was disappointed with the result and dais, ‘I am very disappointed in the result today, it definitely doesn’t reflect the game. We went to sleep for a split second for their first goal but the other three we are bitterly disappointed with the manner that they scored. They were clearly five yards offside and it shouldn’t have been allowed to stand. It’s not sour grapes because we lost, we dominated the majority of the game and I cant remember our keeper making a save all game. The two balls into the box for our goals were absolutely superb and Zak Dobie finished them off with two great headers. I hope the injury to Ricky is not too serious and not ligament damage.’

The TNS squad consisted of Cai Hilditch Roberts, Taps Kamutasa, Aron Jones, Jamie Monk, Steve Macdonell, Zak Dobie, James Lloyd, Will Dunne, Ryan Smith, Billy Minshall, Sean Phelan, Scott Williams, Rhys Thomas, Ricky Williams and Rob Reynolds.


The TNS Under 13’s beat Airbus 4-2 thanks to a goal from Jack Vale, an own goal and a brace from Darren Evans.

The Saints raced into an early lead through Evans after only two minutes and only four minutes later, it was two nil. After some great work from Harry Bower, the home side put the ball in their own goal to give Jason Brindley’s side a two goal advantage.

Vale made it three after he beat the Airbus goalkeeper to the ball after a good ball over the top by Sam Jones.

Airbus pulled one back but Evans completed his brace to restore the three goal advantage.

Airbus scored the goal of the game late on but TNS ran out 4-2 victors.

Brindley was happy with his side and said, ‘I couldn’t be happier with the performance today. Airbus are a good team and completely outplayed us earlier in the season.We knew it was going to be a test and I thought it was great to see the lads all pulling together. Individually there were some big performances today, but more pleasingly was the collective performance, we played like a team, standing up for the man next to you when we needed to, whilst showing the technical ability to play our football, which at times was first class.

The squad was made up of Lewis Dutton, Luke Sussex, Ben Pritchard, Haci Ozlu, James Parry, Harry Bower, Sam Jones, Dan Smith, James Gregory-Cork, Jack Vale, Darren Evans, Jordan Tipping, Tomos Williams, Liam Ihekwoaba, Tom Halliday and Owen Platt.