Swansea Sink Saints

Swansea City won a fifth FAW Welsh Youth Cup in a row at The Liberty Stadium after beating a brave TNS Under 19’s side by six goals to one.

The Swans enjoyed a lot of possession early on but with only eight minutes gone, The Saints nearly found an opening. Ryan Kershaw reacted quickest to a mistake from the Swansea defence but was expertly denied by a Joseph Jones tackle.

The next chance in the match fell to The Swans and Ryan Hedges made no mistake from close range to give his side the lead. The striker found room in the box before passing the ball past the helpless Stewart Evans.

Minutes later and it could have been two nil but Kris Scott’s low shot sailed just wide.

However, the second goal did come minutes later. Josh Sheehan’s wonderful pass picked out Hedges who then released Adam King and the midfielder did magnificently well to beat Aaron Simms and then find the bottom corner to make it two nil.

Hedges, who was causing a lot of problems for the TNS defence then scored his second of the game. The striker shot a powerful effort from the edge of the box that went in via a big deflection.

The lively Hedges then headed straight against the cross bar as Cameron Toshack’s side looked to extend their three goal advantage.

With 38 minutes gone, Taylor James dribbled past a couple of Swansea defenders before unleashing a powerful curling effort that only just went wide.

In first half injury time, Kerhsaw struck a wonderful long distance shot that only just went over the bar.

Mark Murch replaced Adam Davies early in the second half but couldn’t stop a fourth goal for The Swans. Connor Roberts found himself in the box and swept home from close range.

Two minutes later and The Saints pulled a goal back. The impressive Kerhsaw did fantastically well to skip past a couple of challenges, before being brought down on the edge of the box. Kershaw picked himself up and then picked out the bottom corner with Oliver Davies unable to prevent it.

The goals continued to fly in and within a minute, Swansea had their four goal advantage back. A brilliant strike from Sheehan fizzed past Evans, to make it five one to The Swans after an hour.

With just over ten minutes left, Hedges nearly completed an excellent hat-trick. The striker smashed his left footed shot against the bar from 25 yards out. 

Toshack introduced Kyle Copp with only ten minutes left and within 45 seconds of coming on, the forward added a sixth Swansea goal and that proved to be the last goalmouth action of the final.

Full time: TNS Under 19’s 1-6 Swansea.

The TNS Under 19’s line up consisted of Stewart Evans, Luke Douglas, Adam Davies (Mark Murch 51), Aaron Simms, Jordan Wells, Ryan Kershaw (C), Rhys Cooper (Liam Walker 67), Fisnik Hadjari, Taylor James, Ryan Pryce (James Jones 78) and Dylan Jones.

The unused substitutes for The Saints were Greg Fletcher and Olie Beaman.

The Swansea line up consisted of Oliver Davies, Liam Shephard, Connor Roberts, Thomas Ateyo, Joseph Jones, Sam Evans, Kris Scott (Kyle Copp 79), Adam King Corey Francis 82), Ryan Hedges, Josh Sheehan (C) and Kenji Gorre (Alex Samuel 63).

The unused substitutes for Swansea were Lewis Thomas and Jordan Sherman.