Saints on Cloud Nine

The New Saints thrashed Bangor City by nine goals to one at The Book People Stadium.

An early goal from Matty Williams was cancelled out by Corey Jones but within seconds Greg Draper restored the lead. Chris Seargeant made it three and Scott Quigley added a fourth. Draper then added a wonderful fifth goal to complete his brace and nine minutes into the second half, Williams completed his own brace. Within minutes another brace was completed, this time it was the impressive Quigley who scored his second of the afternoon. Draper added another goal to complete a wonderful hat-trick. Aeron Edwards got himself on the score sheet in the last minute of the match to complete the rout.

The Saints opened the scoring after only four minutes when Draper slipped Williams in and the TNS number 10 kept his cool and found the bottom corner. The former Manchester United forward made no mistake from just inside the box and slotted the ball past Jack Cudworth to give his side the perfect start.

However, minutes later and the match was level. Bangor’s Jones met a Sion Edwards corner and headed home past Paul Harrison.

The action continued and within second of the restart, Draper was picked out by Ryan Fraughan and magnificently lobbed Cudowrth from just outside the box, to restore the lead for The Saints.

With only twenty minutes gone, the score was three one. Quigley did well to win a free kick around 25 yards out and The Saints decided to play it quickly. The decision proved successful and Seargeant’s sensational strike from just inside the box resulted in a third goal for the Welsh Premier League Champions.

The goals continued and after 22 minutes it was four one to TNS.  Fraughan’s delightful ball found Quigley and the striker who has spent time on loan at Cefn Druids this season, took it round Cudworth before passing the ball into the empty net.

In what was turning into an incredible game, Draper completed his brace after only half an hour. The striker latched onto an Aeron Edwards throw and skipped past a desperate Bangor challenge before firing an unstoppable strike into the roof of the net to make it five one to Craig Harrison’s side.

With half time approaching, Williams’ powerful half volley whistled just wide of the post as The Saints continued to push forward in search for more goals.

Les Davies went close for the home side and Draper missed from close range as the first half drew to a close.

Nine minutes into the second half and Williams completed his brace. The forward kept his cool in the box and expertly chipped Cudowrth to complete his brace.

Sam Finley nearly added his name to the goal scorers but his superb curling effort struck the post and bounced clear.

Quigley then completed his brace. The powerful forward coolly ran past a number of Bangor defenders before having his initial shot blocked on the line but was alert enough to roll in the rebound and score The Saints’ seventh of the afternoon.

Harrison brought on youngsters Ryan Kershaw, Luke Douglas and Ryan Edwards and the trio helped Draper complete a brilliant hat-trick. The striker pounced on a loose ball and slotted home from close range to make it eight one to The Saints.

Aeron Edwards added a ninth goal after getting on the end of a Finley cross to complete the rout.

The New Saints line up consisted of Paul Harrison (C), Aeron Edwards, Chris Marriott, Kai Edwards, Connell Rawlinson, Chris Seargeant (Ryan Kershaw 72), Scott Quigley,  Sam Finley, Greg Draper, Matty Williams (Ryan Edwards 60) and Ryan Fraughan (Luke Douglas 72).

The unused substitutes for The Saints were Phil Baker, Simon Spender, Mike Wilde and Jamie Mullan.

The Bangor City line up consisted of Jack Cudworth, Joe Culshaw (Lolo Hughes 74), Ryan Edwards, Sion Edwards, Michael Johnston (C), Anthony Miley, Chris Jones, Corey Jones (Jamie McDaid 59), Chris Roberts, Les Davies and James Colbeck.

The unused substitutes for the home side were Gerwyn Jones, Nick Bould, Phil Warrington, Calo Hywel and Ieuan Lloyd.