Saints Safely into Second Round

Welsh Champions, The New Saints advanced into the second round of the Word Cup after a two nil win against ten man Porthmadog at Y Traeth.

Alex Darlington gave TNS the lead at the end of the first half and Steve Evans doubled the lead at the start of the second to ensure that The Saints will be in the second round of the Word Cup.

The Saints had the first opportunity of the game when Scott Quigley skipped past a couple of defenders before firing over the bar after five minutes.

Moments later, Mike Wilde headed just wide as Craig Harrison’s pushed forward in search of the opening goal.

Midway through the first half, Rob Evans forced Chris Mullock into a good save after drilling a low shot towards the bottom corner.

With The Saints controlling the game, the deadlock was finally broken by Darlington. The former Wrexham man controlled the ball on the edge of the box and unleashed an unstoppable shot that flew past Darren Andrews, before hitting the post on it’s way in.

The second half started with the Oswestry based side once again enjoying large spells of possesion and with only five minutes into the second half, Wilde should have doubled the advantage. Darlington latched onto a defensive mistake and after his shot was blocked, the ball fell kindly to the former Chester City forward who missed the target from six yards out.

However, The Saints didn’t have to wait long to double the lead after Evans’ powerful header beat Andrews from close range. Ryan Edwards’ wonderful cross to the back post was met by the Welsh International who met the cross with an excellent header.

A minute later and it got worse for the home side as they went down to ten men. Gwdion Ifan brought down the impressive Darlington and was issued with a second yellow card, having already picked up a card earlier on in the game.

The home side brought David Edwards on to replace Josh Davies and within moments, the quick forward had a great chance to pull a goal back but struck his effort just wide.

With only ten minutes left to play a brilliant shot from substitute Josh Hartrick was expertly kept out by the agile Mullock, who got down low to keep out the midfielder and maintain the two goal cushion.

Late on in the game, Darlington nearly added a third goal with well hit free kick but Andrews managed to keep it out.

Full time: Porthmadog 0-2 TNS.

The New Saints: Chris Mullock, Scott Ruscoe, Luke Douglas, Connell Rawlinson, Steve Evans (C) (Kai Edwards 70), Ryan Edwards, Matty Williams (Fisnik Hajdari 81), Alex Darlington, Mike Wilde, Scott Quigley and Ryan Fraughan (Ryan Pryce 65).

The unused substitutes for TNS were Paul Harrison, Greg Draper, Aeron Edwards and Adrian Cieslewicz.

Porthmadog: Darren Andrews, Gwydion Ifan, Josh Banks, Josh Stadniki, Dilan Lomas, Gruff Williams, Iwan Lewis, Josh Davies (David Edwards 65), Rob Evans (C), Stuart Rogers and Eilir Edwards (Josh Hartrick 14).

The unused substitute for Porthmadog was Craig Papyrnik.