Academy Round Up 29/09/14

Under 8s

Penycae 8’s 0-15 TNS Under 8’s

A professional performance from the Under 8’s saw them cruise to an easy victory away at Penycae.

Dylan Davies won man of the match after 6 goals, Sam Aplin kept up his formidable form with four goals, Owen Booty and Player of the Month Riley Griffths grabbed their first goals for the club and the ever impressive play maker Joe Drummond also scored. A special mention though to Will Beckett who bagged his goal within the first 2 minutes of his debut game.

Under 8’s Manager Kieran Lee-Birch said “we were expecting a bigger test from Penycae but we came into the game in red hot form, and they simply couldn’t handle us” “What pleased me most was our ability to again keep possession of a standard far older than our own age stay professional throughout the whole game” “A special mention to my defence too as they kept their first clean-sheet of the season, they’ve improved so much since the start of the season”

The team which beat Penycae consisted of…. Lewiz GK, Josh. B, Riley.G, Kyran. S, Will.B, Owen.B, Sam.A, Dylan.D, Joe.D.

The Under 8’s next match is a home fixture against Vauxhall Motors, who they have already beat earlier this season 2-1.

Under 9s

Rhyl FC 9s 13 – TNS 9s 1


The New Saints under 9’s were left humbled by a very strong and organised Rhyl side on a mild Saturday morning in Rhyl. New manager Ben Bate, in his game in charge, used the fixture to experiment with team shape and to get know his new players and their positions. Rhyl dominated the game for large periods and Kelson Cunnah was kept busy in the Saints goal making some great saves throughout the game. It wasn’t all Rhyl for all of the game though with Ieuan Jones-Wellsteais creating several opportunities through individual endeavour and Sam Gregory-Cork scoring a late consolation goal for the Saints. Special mention goes to the two under 8 players Liam and James who competed well against players a year older than them.


Under 13s

TNS 13’s v Rhyl 13’s


The New Saints under 13’s travelled to Rhyl on Sunday morning looking for their third win out of three away games in September. The game started brightly and TNS were on top for the first ten minute period of the game, the game then became slightly scrappy, but the away team took the lead through winger Isaac Dawson, so make it 1-0 to the saints after 15 minutes. Rhyl tried to contain the TNS midfield but all players were playing superbly, and they soon added another goal after a mistake by the Rhyl goalkeeper, and new striker Eric Brown calmly scored from the edge of the box. Second half started similar to the first with the saints staying on top and controlling the game, the third goal finally came from a great volley inside the box again by Eric Brown; this then made it 3-0 to the away team. The New Saints were now comfortable in the game and Rhyl pulled back a late goal which was very well taken, the final score finishing 1-3. This victory is the third straight win from the under 13’s, all being away from home, meaning they are now unbeaten in September and looking forward to next month.

Robert Johnson – Alex Clarke (30mins)

Cameron James – Keane Marks (30mins)

Daniel Sumner

Ryan McVeagh

Lewis Gorman – Kai Jackson (30mins)

Isaac Dawson – Callum Evans (30 mins)

Toby Roberts – Luis Edwards (30 mins)

Max Kulbida – Joey Suckley (30 mins)

Liam Davies – Owen Cartwright (30 mins)

Thomas Richards-Lyon- Eric Brown (30 mins)

Tai Jones


Under 14s

TNS U14s played Connahs Quay at the Venue, 9.30am kick off. TNS won 6-0.

The squad included:

Lewis Dutton, Owen Platt, Tom Halliday, Haci Ozlu, Callum Murphy, Sam Jones, Dan Smith (captain), Tomos Williams, James Parry, Jordan Tipping, Darren Evans, Jacob Barrett, Jack Vale, Luke Sussex, Ben Pritchard, James Gregory Cork

TNS 14s were looking to get back to winning ways after last week’s defeat against Llandudno and did so in style against Connahs Quay at The Venue. Sam Jones started the scoring in the 10th minute, latching on to a Tomos Williams pass in the far right before chipping the keeper from an impossible angle. Jack Vale doubled the lead on 21 minutes with pretty much his first touch after coming on off the bench, a fantastic turn and pass from Darren Evans finding Jack on the right side who made no mistake with a really well taken goal into the far corner. Jacob Barrett have us a three goal cushion going into half time with a neat finish after a square pass across the box from Jack Vale.

Really came out firing at the beginning of the second half, Sam Jones playing a delicious through ball with the outside of his right foot between the opposition centre half and left fullback to the oncoming Jack Vale, who’s cross again found Jacob who made no mistake. Midway through the second half Jacob Barrett completed his hattrick, Owen Platt with a pinpoint cross finding Jacob with a well timed header past the keeper. In the final moments Jordan Tipping capped a fine display with a brilliant strike from range past the despairing Connahs Quay goalkeeper.

Final Score:
The New Saints 14s 6
Connahs Quay 14s 0

Really pleased with the way the lads picked themselves up from last week’s defeat, I wanted them to show a response and they did. We had a bigger squad with more players back then we’ve had in recent weeks, giving players some much needed game time, it’s really important. The squad is really starting to come together, we have players who can play in different systems and positions, the competition for places is really good. The new players seem to be gelling into the squad too, Jacob Barrett was lethal in front of goal today and is starting to look more settled with the team. We need to build on this performance though and improve further for our next fixture, we were good today but I know we can do better.


Under 15s

Rhyl 15’s V TNS 15’s

TNS travelled to Rhyl to continue there unbeaten run going. TNS were slow the extra momentum they needed starting in this game and Rhyl attacked but had no real opportunities to score. The referee sin binned TNS keeper for 10 minutes after he allegedly handled out side the box!! Zak Dobie went in goal and TNS played the 10 minutes with 10 men!! Rhyl scored a goal after a defensive mix up, the goal seemed to wake the TNS lads up. They took kick off and went straight on to the attack with Tom Hanna crossing for Cameron Simpson who just put his shot the wrong side of the post with the keeper beaten. TNS soon scored the goal they deserved. Arron Jones played the ball into Tom Hanna who fed Ryan Smith who rolled in Harry Jenks in the box and he was taken out by the defender. Will Dunne stepped up and placed the ball into the bottom corner from the penalty spot. The goal shocked Rhyl and TNS stepped up a gear. Quickly won the ball back and had a good spell of possession, moving the ball around the pitch, dictating the play. Arron Jones and Tom Hanna linked up well down the right with Arron crossing the ball for Harry Jenks to out jump the defender and put the ball into the back of the net with a bullet header. Rhyl scored another goal just before half time after the ball wasn’t cleared. The sides went in 2-2 at the break.

Sean Kiff and Rob Reynolds come on for TNS with both players causing problems for the Rhyl defence. Sean Phelan was played in by Jamie Monk and the keeper pulled off a fine save from the TNS striker. Ben Crump was alert to thwart a Rhyl attack and his long clearance fell to Rob Reynolds who controlled the ball, beat his marker and drove the ball goal bound for the keeper to save. TNS were again enjoying a lot of the ball. Jamie Monk picked the ball up from a short corner on the edge of the box and his curling shot just went over the bar with the keeper beaten. Rob Reynolds picked up and injury and was replaced by Ryan Smith who made an instant impact, by playing an inch perfect pass to Sean Phelan to pull the ball back to Will Dunne who beat 3 defenders and as he was about to shoot the Rhyl defender clearly taken him out only for the referee to not award a penalty, the resulting clearance allowed Rhyl to break and score. TNS lads were obviously disappointed not to be awarded the penalty and then to  concede. Dennis Bates and Zak Dobie played a neat 1-2 in midfield and fed the ball out wide to Jamie Monk, who played the ball into Harry Jenks, who played the ball into Ryan Smith whose volley went just over the bar. With the clock ticking TNS went searching for the goal they fully deserved and it came through the lively Harry Jenks. Sean Kiff played in Tom Hanna who skipped past 2 Rhyl defenders to cross the ball into the box, Ryan Smith picked it up back post and his cross was turned in by Harry Jenks with a shot on the turn going in off the post. TNS won the ball back straight from the kick off and went in search for the winner with Will Dunne smashing a long range effort just over.

” We were slow out of the traps today, for our normal standards, the lads woke up as soon as Rhyl scored and normal service resumed. We took control of the game and Harry Jenks’ movement and touch was superb.  Our 2nd goal was a superb team goal, an inch perfect cross from Arron and a bullet header by Harry to finish it off. The ref was the only person not to see it was a stone wall penalty, a blatant foul on Will? We are all disappointed with the decision but we are still undefeated this season, we will go again in training on Wednesday and look forward  to our next game in a couple of weeks time”


Ben Crump, Arron Jones, Rhys Thomas, Steve Mcdonald,Will Evans, Zak Dobie, Will Dunne, Tom Hanna, Cameron Simpson, Ryan Smith, Harry Jenks, Jamie Monk, Sean Phelan, Sean Kiff, Dennis Bates, Rob Reynolds.

Will Dunne 1 penalty

Harry Jenks x2