Wilde Wins it for Saints

The New Saints beat Airbus UK by three goals to two at the Hollingsworth Group Stadium thanks to a last minute goal from Mike Wilde.

The Saints had taken the lead in the first half after Adrian Cieslewicz had tapped in from close range but a minute later Airbus equalised through a penalty. The home side were then awarded another penalty but it was expertly saved by Paul Harrison. Moments later, Wilde scored his first of the game to ensure that TNS went into the break leading by two goals to one.

Airbus again equalised after Ian Kearney bundled in but in the last minute of the game, Wilde latched onto a great cross from Chirs Marriott and won the points for his side, which resulted in wild celebratiions from the TNS players.

TNS started well with Cieslewicz going close. The Polish winger got away from the Airbus defence but shot wide from just inside the box with only fifteen minutes gone.

However, a minute later, the deadlock was broken. Simon Spender’s excellent cross was met by the speedy winger who coolly slotted in from four yards out.

The Saints didn’t lead for long after Connell Rawlinson conceded a penalty brought down Kearney in the box. Matty McGinn confidently stepped up and sent Harrison the wrong way to level the match.

In what was an action packed start to the match, Marriott conceded another penalty after being adjudged to have handled the ball inside the box. Again McGinn stepped up but was expertly kept out by Harrison. The TNS Captain dived to his right and managed to get his hands on the ball to ensure that the score remained level.

In the 33rd minute, Wilde gave The Saints the lead for the second time. Cieslewicz’s great through ball found Wilde who took the ball past James Coates and rolled the ball into the empty net.

The second half started with Airbus pushing forward and ten minutes into the half, the game was level. Kearney bundled the ball in from a corner and the goal stood, despite some TNS players protesting that the ball didn’t cross the line.

With twenty minutes left, the home side grew into the game and Kearney nearly added another goal from just outside the box. Chris Budrys headed the ball down to the defender but his shot whistled just wide of the post.

However, the action continued right until the last minute of the game.

In second half stoppage time, The Saints dramatically won the game after Wilde managed to convert the ball in from close range having met a great cross from Marriott. The whole of the TNS team celebrated a massive win and things then got worse for the home side.

Substitute Ryan Wade was issued with a  straight red card after arguing with the referee and The Saints held on for another 30 seconds to ensure all three points.

Full time: Airbus UK 2-3 TNS.