Academy/U19 Round Up 13 October 2014

Under 8s

TNS 6 Airbus 1

The Under 8’s made it 8 wins from 9 games after a dominant performance over Airbus. Airbus were the only side to have beaten in future Saints earlier in the season 3-2. But this time there was only going to be one winner.

The 8’s were 1-0 up within two minutes when debutante Alfie Harrison curled his effort into the top corner after some good work from Rhys Pettigrew. Airbus were level instantly though after the TNS defence failed to clear their lines; the Airbus player having the easy task on tapping in from a few yards out. This set the tone for the rest of the match. For the rest of the half though Airbus bullied the TNS defence with Captain Riley Griffiths and Keeper Lewiz Jones constantly keeping our team in the game.

For the second half though, TNS took the game to Airbus, Josh Burnett’s poor pass into the final third caused a comedy moment as it bounced past the Airbus keeper into the back of the net, the big centre backs 3rd goal of the season. Rhys Pettigrew and James Nutthall’s acute finishing put the game to bed; and after that TNS showed their class controlling the game for the entirety of the game.

The TNS 8’s continued to show their quality, MOTM and debutante Alfie Harrison chipped the keeper from distance. Finally it wouldn’t have been a proper Under 8’s goal if wasn’t for formidable Sam Aplin getting on the score sheet. The pint sized striker weaved through 4 defenders calmly slotting home. His 31st goal of the season in just 8 games!!!!!

Under 8’s Coach Kieran Lee-Birch added “the lads showed true quality today”. “Without possession they made the game tight, compact and were organised”. “With the ball, they looked like they were going to score every time attacking with real intensity and purpose” “Special mention to Sam Aplin, 31 goals in 8 games, like the rest of the team has got a very bright future”!!!

The team consisted of

Lewiz, Riley, Josh.A, Joe.D, Rhys.P, James.N, Sam.A, Josh.B, Alfie.H

The lads face their biggest test to date when they take on North West Elite Tuesday Night at Home.


Under 13s

TNS 13’s 2 Flint 13’s 0

TNS 13’s continued their unbeaten start to the season with a 2-0 home win against Flint on Sunday. The game began with both teams playing at a very high tempo, but it was a very scrappy first half of football, with Flint having a lot of possession but not taking any of their chances. Defensively TNS looked solid and didn’t look they were going to concede a goal, with the centre backs Ryan McVeagh and Lewis Gorman looking very strong. The first half ended 0-0, both teams made a lot of changes at the break.

The second half began more of the same with both teams working hard to create chances. Flint again had more possession than the home side, but great work from the TNS midfield made sure they again didn’t create too many clear cut chances. The first goal of the game came from TNS striker Tai Jones, who got played in over the top of the Flint defence to take his first goal very well. Not long after his first, Jones got his second of the game which made the score 2-0. Flint again carried on trying to create chances, down both wings but Cameron James, Kai Jackson and Keane Marks were all very impressive playing in the full backs positions. The game finished 2-0, and it was certainly a hard fought victory for TNS.

Robert Johnson – Alex Clarke (30mins), Cameron James – Keane Marks, (30mins), Lewis Gorman, Ryan McVeagh, Kai Jackson, Isaac Dawson – Callum Evans (30 mins), Toby Roberts – Luis Edwards (30 mins), Max Kulbida – Joey Suckley (30 mins), Liam Davies – Owen Cartwright (30 mins), Thomas Richards-Lyon- Jack Aplin (30 mins), Tai Jones – Eric Brown (30 mins)


Under 14s

Flint Town 1 TNS 4
12/10/14 11am kick off

The team included: Lewis Dutton, Owen Platt, Tom Halliday, Ben Pritchard, Haci Ozlu, Luke Sussex
James Gregory Cork, Sam Jones, James Parry, Jordan Tipping, Darren Evans, Tomos Williams, Alex Cartwright, Ryan Mcveagh

Sam Jones (30), Sam Jones (33), Jack Vale (34), Conceded (45), Alex Cartwright (66),

TNS U14s were looking to pick up 3 points after losing the last league game against Llandudno and did so against a determined Flint Town side. TNS were awarded a 5th minute penalty after a mazy run from Jack Vale, taking it past 3 players before being upended in the penalty area. Jack picked himself up and dusted himself off to take the resulting penalty, however the Flint keeper did well to keep it out and tipped it away to safety. Despite this setback TNS continued to press but were unable to break the resilient Flint defence and keeper, despite Tomos Williams coming close with a chipped shot.

TNS finally took the lead on 30 minutes, another fine Jack Vale run through the back line, the ball making its way to Sam Jones on the edge of the area who fired into the top of the net. It didn’t take long to double the lead, again through Sam Jones. Tomos Williams was pulled back about 30 yards out when through on goal resulting in a free kick. Sam Jones stepped up and despite the distance fired into the top corner. A minute later and just before half time Jack Vale got on the score sheet himself, firing in the corner after a pass through from fullback Owen Platt.

Half time: Flint 0 TNS 3

Second half started slower, Flint pulling a goal back with a fantastic effort from range. Lewis Dutton pulled off a brave save to keep the score 3-1 moments later. Flint were trying to get back onto the game and the second has was spent without as many chances. TNS killed the game off on 26 minutes with another good ball from Jack Vale which found Alex Cartwright who made no mistake from the edge of the box, finding the far corner.

Final Score: Flint 1 TNS 4

Wasn’t the prettiest games of games, Flint got a lot of bodies behind the ball and defended well, making it hard to break them down at times. Despite this we continued to play our football, I felt it was only matter of time. The Flint keeper was a big lad and had a good game, pick of his saves the penalty, but I was pleased it didn’t affect Jack Vale, who put in another good performance. Sam Jones played well in the middle, both his goals were fantastic but especially the free kick, early contender for goal of the season. It’s good to get the win but I know that this team can produce more and we’re looking forward to this week’s programme and progressing further.


Under 15s

Newtown 1 TNS 9

The game was moved from Latham Parks brand new 3g pitch onto the grass pitch by the river.

The lads started very quickly and scored within 8 minutes.

Sean Kiff ran down the left, cutting in and crossed the ball for Junior Gabi to smash the ball in at the back post. The lads stepped up another level after the goal went in, with Will Dunne, Dennis Bates and Ryan Smith controlling midfield. The Newtown keeper pulled off 3 amazing saves before TNS scored their 2nd goal.

Will Evans won the ball in defence and played it to Jamie Monk, who played switched the ball into the path of Taps Kamutasa playing right back and his defence splitting pass found Sean Kiff and he hit his shot 1st time into the bottom corner with the keeper rooted to the spot. TNS took total control and soon scored another excellent goal. Steve Mcdonnell picked the ball up in defence and ran forward with the ball and played in Ryan Smith, who turned and slid the ball in behind the defender for Will Dunne to calmly beat the keeper. TNS kept on moving the ball all over the pitch and scored within minutes of the re start. Sean Phelan disposed the defender and played in Junior, who beat 2 defenders before placing the ball calmly into the bottom corner. Newtown were awarded a penalty and Ben Crump managed to get his finger tips to it, but couldn’t prevent the goal. The lads responded in the right way by scoring! Will Dunne again picking up the ball and playing a one two with Ryan Smith before beating the keeper from just outside of the box.

TNS went in 5-1 at half time.

The half time team talk was more of the same, keep possession, keep the ball moving, pass and move. As soon as the whistle went, the lads won the ball back and another excellent save from the keeper prevented the lads from going further in front. Macca won the ball and played an inch perfect cross field pass to Sean Phelan, who outpaced his marker to slot the ball “Left footed” past the advancing keeper. TNS kept the pressure on to score another goal and they did through Peter Fletcher. He chased the ball down and played a one two with Dennis before smashing the ball into the back of the net. TNS had several more chances to increase the lead further but the Newtown keeper was pulling off some important saves. Dennis won the ball in the Newtown half and his quick thinking beat the offside trap for Peter to break and pulled the ball back for Will Dunne to slot the ball under the advancing keeper. Newtown kicked off only for Will Dunne to win the ball straight back, Will run forward beating 5 players to take the ball around the keeper and to tap the ball into the empty net.
The lads had several chances to score again through a long range effort from Taps and Sean Kiff and a headed chance by Will Evans before the referee blew the final whistle.
“The boys played some excellent football today especially 1st half. I thought our movement and passing was amazing. I was really impressed with the back 5 in the way they communicated, kept organised and their discipline. Will Dunne, Ryan Smith and Dennis Bates were un-playable in the middle of the park, their touch, vision and passing was 1st class. It was nice to have Junior back in action after an injury that has kept him out for the last 5/6 weeks. We will continue to work hard in training and look forward to our next game, when we entertain Connahs Quay Nomads at home on the 26th October, where we will look to continue our unbeaten run going”

Ben Crump, Taps Kamutasa, Will Evans, Jamie Monk, Steve Mcdonnell, Dennis Bates, Will Dunne, Sean Kiff, Junior Gabi, Peter Fletcher, Sean Phelan, Ryan Smith.

Scores for TNS- Will Dunne 4, Junior Gabi 2, Peter Fletcher 1, Sean Phelan 1, Sean Kiff 1


Under 19s

Llandudno 2 TNS 3

Andy, Dougy, Ryan, James, Jordan, Sarge, Jamie, Fisnik , Tom, Kersh, Harrison, Ant,
Nash, Ben, George, Paps


Tom 44
Nash 45
Fisnik 86

Yellow Card – Fisnik

TNS u19 continued their good form with a hard fought win against a well organised Llandudno side who gave tns they’re hardest test to date.
TNS controlled the first half but lacked any real cutting edge in the final 3rd. Llandudno were happy to sit back and try and counter attack TNS which they did well until the final minute of the half when TNS struck twice. The first came after Ryan Kershaw teasing free kick curled and hit the post but Tom Ash was on hand to head the rebound home from close range. The second was a great move as Jordan Wells found Dylan jones with a great 60yrd diagonal pass. Dylan controlled brilliantly and with his second touch crossed the ball for Nyasha Mwamuka to slot the ball home from 6yrds out.

Second half was a total different story with Llandudno pressing from start. And made things difficult for TNS and got their reward scoring in the 50th minute. Llandudno then had a man sent off for a second bookable offence. But they still managed to equalise after some hesitation in the TNS defence. The game looked like it was going to end in a draw until the 86th minute when Fisnik Hajdari powered through the hosts defence to calmly round the goal keeper and stroke the ball coolly into the empty net.

Manager Steve Evans said ‘it’s a great result today. They made it very difficult for us and probably deserved a point. They are the best team we have played this season so far. I was happy with the first half display, that’s what I expect. The second half was totally unacceptable. I think the lads fought they had already won the game. We have set ourselves high standards and it weren’t good enough. The pleasing thing is that we managed to get the win. But I’ll be looking for a big performance next week’.