Super Quigley Sends Saints into Final

The New Saints advanced into the Word Cup Final after a hard fought extra time victory over Port Talbot Town.

The Saints will now face Bala Town in the Final after a late goal from Scott Quigley won it for TNS at Park Hall Stadium.

Rhys Griffiths had given Port Talbot the lead but two late goals from Connell Rawlinson and Quigley sealed The Saints’ spot in the final.

The visitors started well with Kostya Georgeievsky forcing Chris Mullock into a great save after The Saints had failed to clear a corner.

Chris Marriott and Matty Williams both had long range shots as TNS started to grow into the game.

Midway through the first half, Griffiths headed straight at Mullock as The Steelmen attempted to open the scoring.

Moments before the break, Conah McFenton kept out a Greg Draper lob. Scott Ruscoe picked out the striker but after turning his marker, the TNS number nine couldn’t beat the young Port Talbot goalkeeper.

The second half started with TNS applying a lot of pressure but couldn’t seem to find a break through.

Craig Harrison sent on Quigley and Adrian Cieslewicz in search of a goal and within minutes, one nearly arrived. Jamie Mullan’s brilliant run was kept out by the Port Talbot ‘keeper and Alex Darlington smashed the rebound straight at the post.

With only ten minutes left, Quigley spun his defender and fired a powerful low drive that was superbly kept out by McFenton as TNS continued to push forward.

Darlington then had a chance to win it but his placed effort was cleared off the line as The Saints thought they had secured a place in the final.

The goal didn’t arrive and the match went into extra time.

TNS started to dominate proceedings in extra time with Williams going close from eight yards out but the visitors remained strong.

The visitors went up the other end and nearly opened the scoring themselves. Luke Bowen’s curling free kick clipped the post and went out for a goal kick.

The ball fell kindly for Quigley who shot wide as the whistle went for half time in extra time.

With only ten minutes remaining, the visitors took a shock lead. Keyon Reffell dribbled into the box and his deflected shot fell kindly to Griffiths who tapped in from two yards out to give his side the lead.

However, TNS equalised in the 114th minute thanks to a magnificent header from Rawlinson.

And only two minutes later, Quigley raced through on goal and fired in the winner to secure The Saints’ spot in the Word Cup Final.

The New Saints: Mullock, Spender, Rawlinson, Marriott, Ruscoe (Cieslewicz 64), Draper (Quigley 64), Mullan, Darlington, Seargeant, Williams and K.Edwards.

The unused substitutes were Harrison, Baker, Douglas, Pryce and Hajdari.


Sponsored by Planet Hippo