Academy Round Up (24/25 Jan 2015)

Under 8

Results were – TNS 1-1 Newtown A, TNS 5-0 Newtown B, TNS 1-1 Bala

Prior to the first team match our 8’s took part in a football festival at Newtown’s Latham Park.

The tournament consisted of 3×20 min matches, which allowed all the player’s plenty of playing time.

Team consisted of – Lewiz, Riley, Alex, Charlie, Rhys, Dylan, Joe.

Under 8’s Coach Kieran Lee-Birch said – “Sunday morning was great for the lads, lots of playing time and everyone left the pitch with smiles on there face” “It was great to see us continue our form after some impressive results against Connahs Quay and Newtown last week at Deeside”

Our team would like to thank Newtown for their excellent hospitality. And along with the rest of the TNS family we’d like to congratulate the first team on another Cup success.

The 8’s next match sees them entertain Shrewsbury Town this Saturday.


Under 9’s 

The morning of the Word Cup final between Bala Town and The New Saints saw the younger academies of both teams as well as Newtown Academy play a round robin tournament.

Team: Sam Gregory-Cork, Mikey McDonnell, Josh Burnett, Ollie Sumner, Ieuan Jones-Wellstead, Alfie Harrison, Finley Chorlton-Wilcox.

Game 1

TNS v Newtown

First game saw TNS with a lot of possession with their ever improving passing ability, however after not taking advantage of their possession and having very few shots on goal TNS conceded 4 goals before they replied with a very well worked goal of their own and a great finish from Ollie Sumner. TNS 1 – 4 Newtown

Game 2

TNS v Bala Town

In game 2 TNS knew they would be up against a very good Bala Town team, and having kept them out for the first ten minutes after a couple of fine saves from goalkeeper Sam Gregory-Cork, Bala finally found the net after a mix up at the back from TNS which saw Bala 1v1 with Sam and then Bala slotting into the net. However, TNS reacted very well with TNS breaking very quickly with Ieuan Jones-Wellstead down the right and squaring for Finley Chorlton-Wilcox to tap in. Within a minute Ieuan also got amongst the goal scorers as he placed a well timed shot into the bottom corner. Final score TNS 2 – 1 Bala Town.

Game 3

Game 3 for TNS was another game versus Newtown and straight from the off TNS were looking very strong taking a 2-0 lead after 2 goals from Ollie Sumner. Newtown then responded with a great goal of their own, before Alfie Harrison smartly drifted past several Newtown players and slotting into the net, putting the game out of reach. Final score TNS 3 – 1 Newtown.

Under 9’s coach Rob said;

With many U9 players missing from today’s squad we knew today would be a tough test. We had plenty of possession in all 3 games and were unfortunate not to score more goals but everyone played outstanding and gave me a hard decision in choosing a man of the match for today. I couldn’t be any more proud of them at this moment after great performances from futsal last week and today’s performance. Everyone showed real quality in all 3 games and U8 players Alfie Harrison and Josh Burnett should be proud of themselves playing up a year and giving great performances in all 3 matches. However, after scoring 3 goals and playing in all positions, man of the match today will go to Ollie Sumner, although everyone who played today should also deserve it!

Under 12s (Futsal)

Game 1 – Porthmadog n/a

Game 2 – Bala 8 TNS 4 (Goalscorers Jack Parry(3) & Jack Brindley)

David, Spencer, Regan, Matt, Alfie, Jack P, Jack B & Kyle

The squad travelled to Deeside for the final fixtures of the tournament, only to find the first game cancelled due to Porthmadog not attending.  Carl Parrish looked after the team and said that the lads played well against Bala, but took their chances better.


Under 13s

TNS 13’S v Chester 13’s 2-2

Tai Jones 30 minutes. Tai Jones 60 minutes.

Chester started the game brightly and moved the ball very well to begin with. TNS then began to press the Chester team more and put them under a lot more pressure. However the away team were the side who broke the deadlock capitalising on a mistake made by the new saint’s defence whist trying to play out from the back. TNS did though get an equaliser five minutes before half time when striker Tai Jones curled a shot over the Chester goalkeeper from the right hand side of the penalty box.  After a lot of changes at half time both teams started well again, moving the ball well under pressure and creating chances at both ends. Chester were the team who again took the lead in the second half and started the second half the better team. TNS again began to add more pressure and kept the ball well themselves as the second half went on. At 2-1 the game was very even, but the equaliser eventually came ten minutes before full time, as Tai Jones again broke through the Chester defence and calmly  finished when one on one with the goalkeeper. Final score 2-2.

GK Alex Clarke (Robert Johnson 35 mins), Cameron James (Keane Marks 35 mins), Ryan McVeagh, Lewis Gorman (Daniel Sumner 35mins), Kai Jackson, Luis Edwards (Callum Evans 35 mins), Toby Roberts, Joey Suckley (Jack Aplin 35 mins), Liam Davies (Owen Cartwright 35 mins), Tai Jones, Eric Brown (Thomas Richards-Lyon 35 mins)


Under 14s (Futsal)

TNS 10-4 Rhyl semi final

Goalscorers: Jack Vale x5, Liam, James Gregory Cork x3 and Luke.

TNS 9-2 Airbus Final

Goalscorers: Jacob, Jack Vale x3, James Gregory Cork and Darren Evans x4

Tom Jones, Lewis Dutton, Haci Ozlu, Luke Sussex, Liam Ihekwoaba, James Parry, Sam Jones, Dan Smith, James Gregory-Cork, Jacob Barrett, Darren Evans, Jack Vale

Today saw the boys play against Rhyl and Airbus in the semi-final and final of the Northern Futsal Section. After beating Rhyl 10-4, the boys faced a tricky task against Airbus. Both games provided real quality from both sets of teams, with each player in the squad making a real contribution to the squads cause. Fantastic interchanging in possession with some truly outstanding finishes. A massive well done to all players and Jase Brindley, and we look forward to heading down to Cardiff to play in the Grand final in March.


Under 15s 

TNS 15’s travelled to Lilleshall to play Shrewsbury.

The lads arrived looking to continue were they left off in 2014. The TNS lads kicked off and straight from the off were put under pressure by Shrewsbury. The lads took 5 minutes to find their feet and to get to grips with the pace of the game. TNS had a few half chances before going close through Harry Jenks. The energetic Ryan Smith picked the ball up and his superb pass found Harry and he beat his marker and fired just wide. The defence were put under a lot of pressure and stood strong. Zak Dobie won the ball in midfield and passed it out wide to Sean Kiff who played a 1-2 with Ryan Smith, his through ball found Sean Phelan who’s’ 1st time effort was saved by the keeper. The TNS lads found themselves a goal behind just after 20 mins after a save by Ben Crump was tapped in at the back post. Shrewsbury scored again after 30 minutes and this knocked the wind out of the sails of the TNS lads. Shrewsbury scored an excellent goal with a cheeky lob from the edge of the box followed by 2 further goals in the 1st half. TNS lads were asked for much more of the 1st 30 minutes and they began brightly 2nd half, staying compact in midfield and playing the ball around quickly and positively. Shrewsbury scored 2 goals from deflected efforts and the lads continued to play football. Peter Fletcher picked the ball up and played a neat 1-2 with Dennis Bates and then some excellent 1 touch football between Peter, Dennis, Will Dunne and Tom Hanna found Cameron Simpson, his first time shot was saved by the keeper. Jamie Monk cleared the ball superbly off the line only for the attacker to score, despite Jamies 2nd effort to deflect it, in off the post. Will Evans and Sean Kiff combined well down the left and found Ryan, who calmly beat 2 markers and his pass found Sean Phelan and his shot went narrowly wide. Shrewsbury scored again in the dying minutes of the game.

After the game, Steve commented ” The lads played really well the 1st 20 minutes and held their own. After 30 minutes being 2 down, we still tried to play football and were still in the game. We then switched off for whatever reason, the last 10 minutes and conceded. The lads were asked to show the same character as they did in the first 30 minutes and they did exactly that. The boys held their own against several under 16 players, who were physically stronger and we will certainly take a lot of positives from the game. We will work hard in training, regroup and go again next week against a very good Airbus team”

Squad from:

Ben Crump, Arron Jones, Steve Macdonnell, Jamie Monk, Will Evans, Zak Dobie, Sean Kiff, Will Dunne, Ryan Smith, Sean Phelan, Harry Jenks, Tom Hanna, Peter Fletcher, Taps Kamutasa, Dennis Bates and Cameron Simpson

Next Up;

Airbus – Away 1/2

Druids Away 8/2

Under 16’s

Lost 3-2 on pens to Cefn Druids in semi final then beat Connahs Quay 12-4 to finish 3rd.

Unfortunate to lose on pens but fair play to Druids for playing some outstanding football. The league game promises to be a really good game hopefully! A well done to all squad players for taking part in Futsal.

Todays squad was;- Niall, Dan C, Dan J, Steve, Izaack, Lewis, James A, James H, Rhys L, Callum O’C and Will D.

Massive thanks to Jay Catton and Deeside for hosting yet again a fantastic event. I wish Llandudno and Cefn Druids all the best down in Cardiff.