Ten Man Saints Secure Point

The New Saints of Oswestry Town drew 0-0 with Newtown at Paveways Latham Park despite being down to ten men for the majority of the second half.

Paul Harrison was sent off after fouling in the box but Craig Williams’ penalty was saved by former Newtown man Chris Mullock, as Craig Harrison’s side remained unbeaten in the Corbett Sports Welsh Premier League.

The Saints started well and created the first chance after five minutes. A wonderful shot from Matty Williams cannoned back off the cross bar and bounced clear as the home side struggled to settle down.

Moments later, Greg Draper nearly broke the deadlock. Chris Marriott’s brilliant ball picked out the striker but his shot took a deflection before clipping the bar.

Scott Quigley, who scored a brace on this pitch last month in theWord Cup final then fired wide after being played in by Williams.

Within minutes, Connell Rawlinson headed wide from a corner as The Saints continued to dominate proceedings.

TNS should have taken the lead after some great play from Simon Spender down the right hand side. The full back dribbled into the box before setting up Williams but the TNS number ten couldn’t sort his feet out and shot straight at Dave Jones.

Newtown then went up the other end but Jamie Petrie could not manage to latch on to a great cross from the lively Matt Hearsy.

The Welsh Premier League Champions then won a free kick in a dangerous position and Marriott forced Jones into a great save but Kai Edwards smashed the rebound wide with the goal at his mercy.

In the last minute of the first half, Stef Edwards’ excellent cross was met by Jason Oswell but the striker headed over from eight yards out.

The second half began with Harrison conceeding a penalty and after being adjudged to have been the last man, the TNS captain was sent off.

Former Newwtown goalkeeper, Mullock came on and with his first touch, was able to keep out Craig Williams’ spot kick.

The Saints continued to dominate the possession stats despite being down to ten men and created another great chance on the hour mark. However, despite being unmarked, Draper couldn’t divert his header past Jones.

With a quarter of an hour to go, the home side broke but Oswell shot wide from a tight angle as the game become very stretched.

Substitute Luke Foundry then had a chance to pinch the points but shot straight at Mullock after doing well to get into the box.

The fourth official added five minutes of injury time but despite a dangerous cross from Marriott, Newton were able to hold on against ten man TNS.


TNS: Harrison, Spender, Marriott, Rawlinson, K.Edwards, Baker, A.Edwards, Williams (Reed 80), Quigley (Mullock 54), Mullan and Draper (Wilde 70).

The unused substitutes were Wycherley, Cieslewlicz and Kershaw.




Sponsored by Planet Hippo