Academy Round Up (14/15 March 2015)

Under 7s (Sat 14/3)

TNS v Airbus

Squad – Sam Davies, Casey Silltoe, Rui Clarke Phillips, Ryan Tinsley, Liam Ford, Oliver Stevens Sewell, Bailey Evans. (Owen +Liam under 8s x 2 quarters)

The game was a 7 aside format with no goal keepers allowing the boys plenty of playing time and opportunities to get on the ball. For young boys the game was very physical featuring some heavy tackles, credit to the TNS boys getting stuck in and taking free kicks without reaction. The first quarter saw the TNS boys under a lot of pressure, defending for the majority of the half.

At the break we discussed getting the ball wide using the channels to attack. Sam Davies hugged the touch line getting into some great areas when found by other team mates. Casey, Rui, Oliver and Liam had some fantastic individual attacking runs creating opportunities to score goals. Liam and Owen from the under 8s also assisted with some goals last ditch defending to make the second quarter the most positive of the hour.

The final two quarters saw the boys start to familiarize themselves with their positions, Bailey Evans and Ryan Tinsley led the back line making some important tackles, marking up and organising assistance from the boys in the midfield and up front. Once the boys had started to gel they played some excellent football, switching play using the wide areas as we had discussed. Hopefully they can take all the positivity from Saturday into Tuesday night fixture. I’d like to wish them the very best of luck and thank the parents that made the trip to Airbus on Saturday for their support.


Under 11s (Sat 14/3)

Llandudno 5 TNS 4

Squad: Bobby Ireland , Ryan Wilcox, Jay Lee, Will Rodgers, Taylor, Rhys Edwards, Jez Wheldon, Josh Lock, TJ Burns

TNS Under 11s made the trip to Llandudno on a bright, fresh Saturday morning. And it was the traveling team who started brightest. TJ Burns and Josh Lock were linking up well, and TJ scored the first of the day with a neat finish. TNS went into the first break 1-0.

TNS came out for the second quarter firing. TJ doubled the scoreline 2 minutes in and Josh Lock made it 3 moments later, his magical feet dancing his way past the Llandudno defence before finding the bottom with a fantastic finish. Josh scored his second with a fine header from a TNS corner to make it 4-0 to the young Saints. Right at the end of the second 1/4 Llandudno counter attacked from a TNS corner and pulled one back.

Llandudno’s goal seemed to give them a lift and they come out for the third 1/4 keeping TNS on the back foot. The Llandudno playmaker in the middle was looking more influential and was making a real impact on the game. TNS only had the 9 players so no subs, they started to look a little tired. Llandudno scored a couple of goals before scoring a penalty to bring the scoreline back to all square at 4-4. Despite late chances for TNS, it was Llandudno who ended the day on top to edge a nine goal thriller.

Afterwards, Coach Jason Brindley said:

“I’m really pleased with what I saw from these young players today. Obviously I’m only filling in as their coach Nathan is ill, but he has a side with real potential. The goals and link up play was really good. Individually they are very strong. Need to work on moving the ball quicker and switching play. I think we struggled through lack of numbers, only having the bare 9, with Ryan picking up a knock also. However, looking at the early quarters the team played fantastic against a good Llandudno team.”


Under 12 (Sun 15/3)

Airbus 4 TNS 4

Squad : Spencer Parrish, David Williams, Matt Marshall, Liam Rawlings, Regan Jones, Kyle McLeod, Luke Wicks, Ben Buley, Jack Brindley, Jack Parry, Josh Davies.

The under 12’s travelled to Airbus, who had only lost one game all season.  We knew this would be a very tough fixture.

Within 4 minutes Airbus opened the scoring, with a bicycle kick finish, leaving Spencer Parrish in goal with no chance of saving it.  TNS continued to try to get the equaliser, but Airbus were also looking threatening.  TNS equalised after 11 minutes with a great finish from Ben Buley, but Airbus hit back immediately with a fine shot from the left wing.  From the kick off TNS remarkably hit back again Ben Buley the scorer.  3 goals were scored in just over 2 minutes. Josh Davies came on to replace Jack Parry up front.  The first half finished 2-2 and the spectators had been treated to a brilliant display by both teams.

David Williams went in goal in the 2nd half and looked comfortable, behind Regan, Matt and Liam.  Luke and Kyle continued to battle against a strong Airbus midfield.  Airbus retook the lead and then made it 4-2 with around 15 minutes left.  Players were starting to look a little tired after the effort they had put in, Jack Parry came on into midfield to allow Luke Wicks a well-deserved rest. Josh Davies scored after some fine work from Jack Brindley to make it 4-3 to Airbus.   Spencer Parrish, the goalkeeper who looks just as comfortable outfield, came on to replace Ben Buley who had given everything.   With just 2 minutes left on the clock TNS were awarded a free kick, which Kyle McLeod delivered into the danger area, Spencer Parrish, Josh Davies and Jack Brindley were all in there and the ball ended up in the net.  We have not come to a clear decision regarding the goal scorer as all 4 players are claiming it.

Coach Mark Evans said “This is probably the best game I have been involved with this season, Airbus are a strong team near the top of the league, and for us to come from behind on 3 occasions made be very proud of the work rate, determination and desire.  The game had everything with 8 goals, numerous good saves at each end of the pitch.  Both teams played good football.  Credit goes to everyone who played today, not one individual stood out as all players gave 100% – a great team performance.”


Under 14 (Sun 15/3)

Airbus 3 TNS 2

Squad: Tom Jones, Callum Murphy, Haci Ozlu, Sam Jones, Owen Platt, James Gregory-Cork, Liam Ihekwoaba,   Jacob Barratt, James Parry, Jordan Tipping, Darren Evans, Ben Pritchard,  Tomos Williams, Luke Sussex, Sam Fowles, Lewis Dutton

TNS 14s made the trip to Airbus for a top of the table clash. TNS started the game brightly but it was Airbus who struck first on 10 minutes. However TNS hit straight back, Jacob Barratt switching play to James Parry, James cross finding Darren Evans who scored at the front post. TNS kept on the pressure and Liam Ihekwoaba went close with a long range effort which came back off the crossbar. Airbus restored their lead on 22 minutes, a miss pass from TNS finding the Airbus striker, who finished fantastically. TNS leveled shortly after with another great piece of play. James Gregory Cork switching the ball out right, the cross finding Darren Evans again who finished well for his second of the game.
Half time level at 2-2.

Airbus started the second half better. TNS were struggling to get hold and keep the ball and Airbus were pressing well. Airbus retook the lead 8 minutes into the second half. A through ball made its way to the centre forward who chipped it over the keeper. Despite TNS creating a couple of chances the second half was scrappy with no team really taking control.

Final Score: Airbus 3-2 The New Saints

Afterwards, coach Jason Brindley said:

“I’m disappointed with the result today but not necessarily the performance. We gifted them a couple of goals but through playing the way we want them to. We wanted to control the ball in the middle of the park and I felt in the first half we were very good, and probably edged it overall. Our goals were very well worked.

We struggled to get going in the second half though. They were pressing and we couldn’t get hold of the ball and keep possession. The big guy in the middle was a handful and we didn’t deal with him well enough. We were the better team in the first half, Airbus were in the second. We will take more from this game than most. It’s little set backs like today that will make us stronger.”



Under 15 (Sun 15/3)

TNS 3 Bangor City 0

Squad : Ben Crump, Rhys Thomas, Steve Macdonnell, Jamie Monk, Sean Kiff, Zak Dobie, Will Dunne, Peter Fletcher, Sean Phelan, Harry Jenks, Cameron Simpson, Ryan Smith, Dennis Bates, Tom Hanna and Will Evans.

The 15’s looked to continue their unbeaten run going against WPL academy teams.

The lads started brightly and with 1 minute on the clock, Cameron found Harry in space, his 1st touch took it past the defender only for his shot go wide. Rhys Thomas was forced to come off with a pulled muscle and Sean Kiff moved over to CB alongside Steve Macdonnell. That was the 1st of many chances for the young saints. Will Dunne, Sean Phelan and Harry Jenks all had half chances before Will Dunne found the back of the net. Sean Phelans cross was only half cleared and Will picked the ball up inside the box and calmly slotted the ball home. Peter Fletcher picked the ball up just inside Bangors half and ran at the defence before unleashing a low drive that the keeper pushed around the post. The resulting corner was headed goal bounds by Harry th at the keeper saved. Peter was becoming unplayable in the 10 role, spraying passes all over the pitch. His inch perfect pass was picked up by Cameron and his powerful shot nestled in the back of the net.

Half time 2-0 TNS

Changes were made including Zak Dobie taking over in goal in place of Ben Crump. Ryan Smith picked the ball up and played a 1-2 with Tom Hanna down the right and the winger danced his way into the area and his cross could not be put away at the back post by Harry. A superb passage of one touch football between, Jamie Monk, Dennis Bates, Ryan Smith, Will Dunne and Tom Hanna found Tom again beating his marker and finding his way in to the Bangor area only to see his shot saved by the keeper. TNS took total control of the game and went close through Cameron, Harry, Will, Ryan, Peter and a 20 yard Will Evans effort. As the game was coming to its final stages Will Dunne scored his second goal of the game. Ryan played a defence splitting ball to Will Dunne and he cleverly turned his marker and slotted the ball into the bottom corner of the goal with the keeper diving the opposite direction.

The game ended 3-0 to TNS.

Steve added ” We controlled the game from the start to the finish today. We knew Bangor would work hard and look to play the ball  long to their very pacey wide man. We discussed in the changing room about stopping the ball getting to him and that is what they done. Rhys was forced off with a muscle injury early doors and Sean Kiff was asked to play at Center Back for the 1st time. The way he played, you would of thought he played there all of the time, he was fantastic. Peter Fletcher was magnificent in the 10 role, he was at the heart of everything for us. The lads listened to instructions beforehand and worked very hard for each other today. I would have to say it was one of their best team performances to date and we must build on this for our next game. A special thank you to all the parents today for bringing their sons to play on mothers day.”

Scorers  :  Will Dunne x2, Cameron Simpson



Under 16 (15/3)

Airbus 1 TNS 2

Today saw the boys travel to airbus for a top of table clash. Put on a small, bobbly grass pitch, we all knew how hard the task would be. Airbus were particularly strong (but fair) in the tackle, and fortunately we managed to secure a 2-1 away win, with goals from James Harrison and Jack Jones, to consolidate our place as the number 1 team in the under 16’s league. We look forward to 2 games next week, away to Liverpool and at home to Conwy.



Images below are from the Under 12s game away at Airbus.