Academy Round Up

The TNS Academy U11s travelled to Wolves to play in a mini soccer tournament on the Molineux pitch.


Tns opened the tournament brilliantly with a resounding win. TJ Burns opened the scoring early with a bullet headed at the back post from a Jez Wheeldon corner. Tns were pulled back immediately however straight from kick off after a long range effort. From there on however it was all Tns as man of the match TJ added to his tally to grab a hattrick, Harry Holland and Josh Lock both grabbed two each getting on the end of fantastic approach play with great finishes. At the other end Will Mawdesley, Taylor Griffiths and Tom Potts made up a strong makeshift defence on a day where Tns arrived without just one recognised defender.


Tns 0-0 Wednesfield FC

A starkly contasting fixture saw Tns put in a solid defensive play, Ellis Turner impressing on his first official outing for Tns, and Bobby Ireland produced excellent saves when called upon. The tempo remained high and chances were created but the opposition goalkeeper, with ths help of his woodwork, kept out efforts from Griffiths and Burns.


Tns 2-0 HCS

Building on their solud defensive display TNS turned chances into goals in the next encounter, TJ Burns getting goals at either end of this tie with two finishes from a tight angle after solo runs, both from strong defending and using a quick outlet ball. Tj was unlucky not to make it another hattrick as he crashed an effort off the underside of the bar. HCS had little reply.


Tns 1-2 FC Wednesfield

Tns’ bad luck began to tell in this next fixture. After taking the lead through Josh Lock poking in on the stretch they were pegged back as Bobby made a fine save only for the ball to reboud back of the post at the grateful feet of the Wednesfield striker who tapped in from all of a yard out. And as the game looked to be heading to a draw, an unfortunate slip by Will Rogers let in their number 9 who beat Bobby one on one despite Bobbys best efforts to hand Tns their first defeat.


Tns 0-1 Wombourne

Sadly the taste of defeat remained in this final game. After falling behind early Tns just couldn’t break Wombourne down. Some wayward finishing and sloppy last balls cost them and as the clock ran downthe game died out with Tns resigned to their fate needing a win to progress to the semis. It wasn’t to be as they finished 2nd in their group.

Coach Nathan said: “overall today was an invaluable experience. Wolves were terrific hosts and the facilities were top draw and the lads enjoyed the privilege of playing here. We played some very good football at a high tempo, the work in recent trials really showed particularly early on before old fashioned lessons were learnt later on.”


The U9s also took part in the tournament.

Our first game was fixture number four and was against Shrewsbury Junior Colts. The lads started the tournament in very positive form completely dominating the match with Shrewsbury unable to notch up a single shot at goal. Full time result was 1-0 with Louis Rowlands scoring with a low drive from distance.

Game two was then an hour and ten minutes later so there was a long period between the two matches but again the boys played some good football and the opposition was again unable to create any chances. The game was against Elford Boys (fc Dynamo), the first goal was created by mazey run and cross down the right wing by Ieuan Jones-Welland and a close range tap in for Regan Maurice-Jones. Ollie sumner converted the second with a good finish across the Gk into the bottom corner. Full time 2-0.

The next game was against Kewford North with a shorter gap between matches (30 mins). This was a tighter affair with The boys still dominating the majority of the possession but Kewford were looking to counter quickly with a long ball tactic but Henry Green came off his line smartly to clear up most of the attempted long balls. It looked increasingly likely the match would end in a draw Coby made a positive run to the line and cut it back which was poked into his own goal by a Kewford defender in the final minute. Full time 1-0.

We then played our final group game immediately after against All star wanderers so a quick change round of players and a change of pitch and the lads were off again playing some good stuff but by this point probably a little over confident and holding onto the ball for too long and occasionally getting caught in possession. We went 1-0 in front through Ieuan Jones-Welland before again getting caught in possession forcing Henry Green to make a very good save (the first time in the tournament). After that little shock the lads sprung back into action reducing the errors and were rewarded for some good football when Tom Welstenholme playing Ollie Sumner through to get his second of the tournament. Full time 1-0.

We won the group and progressed to the semi-finals. Unfortunately that’s were it ends as we struggled to make an impact in the semi with the most notable events being two good saves be Henry Green and a goal line clearance by Calum Matthias. The boys went down 2-0 to the eventual winners.

All players can go home being pleased with their contributions having played some very good football and not conceding a goal until the semi final.