Saints progress at Latham Park – Newtown AFC 0 TNS 3

This afternoon, TNS progressed into the 4th round of the JD Welsh Cup, courtesy of a 3-0 win at Newtown AFC. We caught up with Assistant-Manager, Scott Ruscoe before the game. Look out for more of these pre-match interviews in the future.

Match report

Newtown 0

The New Saints 3

Routledge 55, 77, Quigley 80.

Newtown (4-4-2): D Jones, Williams, Edwards (Kershaw 69) A Jones (Stephens 69), Mills-Evans, Sutton, Price, Fletcher, Mitchell (Newton 79), Boundford, Oswell.

Not used: Perry.

TNS (4-5-1): Harrison, Pryce, Marriott, Baker, Rawlinson (J Jones 89), Routledge, Brobbel, Seargeant, Quigley (Draper 78), Fletcher (Darlington 78), A Edwards

Not used: Wycherley, Saunders, Spender.

A JON Routledge double helped see Saints through to the Welsh FA Cup fourth round, while Scott Quigley also scored, as TNS overcame a stubborn Newtown side.

In-form Routledge wrote his name all over the third round tie, after Chris Hughes’ Robins showed their mettle with a solid defensive display that was gradually undone, as the Oswestry side ground down their Welsh Premier League counterparts.

Scott Quigley climbs highest
Scott Quigley climbs highest

And by putting the game beyond Newtown, Routledge saw The New Saints secure their 22nd consecutive win of the season, with Quigley putting the game to rest late on.

It was Newtown who went closest to an early lead however, when Jamie Price’s 25-yard free-kick troubled Saints stopper Paul Harrison on five minutes.

Harrison did well to block the shot, but it needed another block from Ryan Pryce to divert the follow-up,  as Shane Sutton pounced on the loose ball.

Chris Seargeant should have done better than slide the ball wide at the other end soon after, as TNS enjoyed their first real attack, and Aeron Edwards also headed past the Robins’ upright.

Saints’ striker Wes Fletcher had time to steady himself when he collected a Quigley pass, before spinning on the ball and firing over Dave Jones’ crossbar 24 minutes in.

Wes Fletcher in action today
Wes Fletcher in action today

With first-half chances at a premium, it was Newtown who once again looked the more dangerous during the early stages of the second period.

Luke Boundford headed over the frame of The New Saints’ goal and Neil Mitchell forced another good save from Harrison.

However, TNS eventually made the Robins pay the price for missed opportunities with Ryan Brobbel turning Quigley’s deflected 55th minute shot back across goal for Routledge to power home on the volley.

Fletcher’s improvised back heel towards goal saw Jones deny him with a brilliant one-handed save a short time later.

This is what we like to see!
This is what we like to see!

But on 67 minutes, Routledge unlocked Newtown’s defence for a second time, riding two desperate challenges to surge into the penalty area and slot home his second goal from just inside the box.

Edwards headed the ball down towards goal only to see it bounce over the bar as TNS pressed for a third.

That honour fell to Quigley however when Seargeant chased a seemingly lost cause to the by-line as Newtown players stood and watched, allowing him to loop the ball over the stranded Jones for Quigley to tap in unchallenged ten minutes from the end.

Post-match interviews with Craig Harrison and Jon Routledge