The Honours Go To The Saints As The Archers Fall Short – The New Saints FC 2 Cardiff Met University FC 0


Draper on for Quigley (75)

Mullan on for Darlington (75)

Match report

In the encounters so far this season between the two sides, TNS went 1-0 down on both occasions. However, home and away, the reigning champions came from behind to take all three points.  Therefore, going into today’s game at Park Hall, Cardiff Metropolitan University FC certainly had a point to prove.

On a beautiful spring-like afternoon, the visitors got the game underway, attacking the car park end. With just one minute on the clock though it was the home side who had the first chance with Routledge, in the box himself, chipping  a ball to Darlington, who headed wide.

It was Cardiff Met’s turn to put the pressure on next, as Rawlinson put the ball out for the first corner of the game. With both sides looking to play football, a good, open game developed, although TNS had the rub-of-the-green as far as early opportunities were concerned.

On 16 minutes, a shot from Quigley went just over the bar. Full of confidence following his four goals last Saturday, he looked sharp again in the opening minutes. Three minutes later, with a run that broke the offside trap, the powerful striker bore down on goal. The end result was the bar being rattled by Darlington. It wouldn’t have counted anyway though, as the flag went up on the far side.

With 26 minutes gone, however, TNS did take the lead. Adrian Cieslewicz, bursting into the box, chipped Will Fuller in the visitors’goal and the net rippled. 1-0

As the clock ticked down to half-time, TNS continued to create chances. With Cardiff looking dangerous though every time they broke, the game was delicately balanced. Just the one goal separated the teams as the referee blew to halt proceedings on the first 45.

There was good play by Quigley early in the second period, as he  twisted and turned in the box. Will Fuller did well though to deny him. Then it was Harrison’s turn, at the other end, to pull off a good save to maintain the status quo.

TNS doubled the lead as Darlington, bundled over in the box, got on his feet to slot the ball confidently in the bottom left-hand corner of the Archers’ goal. 2-0

As TNS continued to look dangerous as the second-half wore on, a double-substitution on 75 minutes, saw Quigley replaced by Draper and Mullan coming on for Darlington. Although the visitors battled well, TNS had the edge and with the game ending 2-0 it was a fair result.

Well played Cardiff Met and all the best for the rest of the season.