Aron Hughes-Jones Goes Head-To-Head With Andy Wycherley

With both Aron Hughes-Jones and Andy Wycherley on loan with Caersws and Guilsfield respectively, the Huws Gray Alliance fixture featuring both sides was an ideal opportunity to catch up with them to see how they were doing, albeit early in the season.

Andy has featured in both the visitors’ games so far, making his mark on his debut with a penalty save at Rhyl. Due to other commitments, this was Aron’s first outing for the Bluebirds.

Wearing the number 8 shirt, the Wales youth international started on the left side of midfield and looked lively from the off. Brought down in the opening minutes, the resultant free-kick was comfortably collected by Wycherley as the planned move didn’t quite come off for the home side.

With a history that goes back to the 19th century, originally as Caersws Amateurs, for now it’s all about the present and a desire to get back into the top-flight of Welsh football. They were founder members of the League Of Wales back in 1992.

In the 22nd minute, first-half livewire Jones was again brought down for a free-kick. This time the players in front of him absorbed the kick and resultant play, leaving the England Schools international keeper untroubled.

The deadlock was broken five minutes later as the Guils, founded in 1957,  took the lead with a well-executed goal. Caersws looked to bounce back immediately but the following ball into the box was watched out by Wycherley.

A corner in the 39th minute, taken by Jones, ended with the ball going behind for a goal-kick. Wycherley was definitely the less active of the two keepers in the first period.

In the dying moments of the half though a low drive from TNS’ midfielder almost beat his Park Hall team mate, with the ball crashing off the post to Wycherley’s right.

Five minutes into the second 45, saw a great ball from Wycherley, as he spotted an opening down his left. Impressive reactions from his counterpart though in the Caersws goal kept the score 1-0 to the visitors.

With 64 on the clock, another quality clearance from Wycherley, again down the left, carved open an opportunity for the Guils. This time the crossbar came to the rescue as the visitors looked to double their lead.

Eight minutes later they did just that, as the battle of the TNS loanees went firmly in favour of the Telford-based goalkeeper.

With seven minutes to go it was game over as the Guilsfield domination produced a third goal, followed by a fourth in the dying minutes, and that was how the game finished as Jones and Wycherley went head-to-head in the mid-Wales derby.

We chatted with the pair after the game and you can watch the interview below.










Media. Contact: