JD WPL Development League – TNS 8 Newtown 0

The New Saints of Oswestry Town 8 Newtown 0

Report by Steve Benyon

On Sunday 15th October, 14 of the the new Professional Phase players faced Newtown Under 19’s in the sixth Welsh Premier Development League game at home.

We welcomed into the squad returning first team player Chris Marriott, who played 45 minutes on his comeback from injury.

The game started off at a slow pace, with the boys failing to shift the ball and play forwards with their normal conviction.

After a largely disappointing half, we managed to score 3 goals through Guyguy, Paul and James to go into the half at 3-0.

Myself, Jase and Is set some objectives at the interval in an attempt to challenge the boys to try and get back to their normal high standards, and even though we scored a further 5 second half goals through Paul, Tom W 2, Harry B and a comeback 19’s goal for Darren, the performance was somewhat still a way off our normal free-flowing attacking football.

However it was pleasing to allow players to gain valuable minutes whilst also scoring 8, and conceding none, but we go back to the drawing board during next week’s training schedule to tweak our areas for improvement both individually and as a collective to prepare for Wednesday’s Category 1 league game away to Lancaster and Morecombe, as well as the Cup match for the other players against Hartpury  and the huge challenge next Sunday away to Llandudno.


  1. Aaron Jones
  2. Matt Cole
  3. Harley Steel
  4. Lewis Kaye
  5. Sam Finley
  6. Chris Marriott
  7. Harry Bower (1)
  8. Paul Naylor (2)
  9. Guyguy Maboy (1)
  10. James Gregory-Cork (1)
  11. Tom Gray
  12. Tomos Williams (2)
  13. Parmveer Chatha
  14. Darren Evans (1)



Additional report, as submitted by David Figg:







The New Saints Under 19 team kept their 100% league record intact in style as they stormed to an 8-0 home win over next to bottom of the table Newtown U19 in their JD Welsh Premier Development League clash at Park Hall Stadium on Sunday.


This latest win by Steve Benyon’s side sees Saints maintain their 2 point lead at the top of the table after second placed Bala Town crashed to a 1-6 home defeat by Connah’s Quay Nomads, who move up into 3rd place as a result.


Saints eventually opened their account in the 32nd minute when first team player Chris Marriott (making his comeback after injury) fed Harley Steel on the left whose cross to the far post found GuyGuy Maboy, whose right foot shot from 4 yards was saved at point blank range by Newtown keeper Lewis Jones with the ball rebounding to Maboy who fired home from about a yard.


It was 2-0 in the 41st minute when Marriott’s low cross-field ball from middle to right found Sam Finley who took a touch before crossing to the far post, where Paul Naylor sent his angled header from the left corner of the 6 yard box across goal and into Jones’s left hand corner.


It was 3-0 after 58 seconds of added time at the end of the half when Tom Gray’s corner from the left was headed out by Robins defender Cenwyn Bloor-Jones to James Gregory-Cork, who sent his first time left foot shot from 20 yards into Jones’ right hand corner.


Saints made a double change to start the second half with Tomos Williams coming on for Maboy and Parmveer Chatha coming on for Marriott.


It was 4-0 in the 51st minute when Gregory-Cork’s low through ball on the right found Harry Bower who ran on before seeing his deflect off Newtown defender Dray Rogers into keeper Jones’s right hand corner for an own goal.


It was 5-0 in the 53rd minute when Finley won a challenge with Cenwyn Bloor-Jones in the middle and ran towards the box before sending a low forward ball to Williams, who took a touch before firing his low right foot shot from 9 yards into Jones’s left hand corner.


It was 6-0 in the 70th minute when Harley Steel’s long ball over the top down the left found Williams who ran on before cutting it back to Paul Naylor, who took a touch before firing his low right foot shot from 20 yards into Jones’s right hand corner.


It was 7-0 after 53 seconds of added time at the end when sub Parmveer Chatha’s long diagonal ball from right to left towards Williams saw Newtown defender Rhys Morris’s attempted header fall to Williams, who chested it upwards before flicking the ball over both Morris and Tunaham Ongun and firing his right foot shot into Jones’s top left hand corner.


It was 8-0 just under 2 minutes into added time when a long clearance by Saints keeper Aaron Jones found Gregory-Cork who ran forward before having his left foot shot from 30 yards spilled by Jones, with the rebound falling to sub Darren Evans who sent his right foot shot from 4 yards with a rabona into Jones’s left hand corner.


Saints: Aaron Jones (GK), Matt Cole, Chris Marriott, Sam Finley, Lewis Kaye, Paul Naylor, James Gregory-Cork, GuyGuy Maboy, Harry Bower, Harley Steel, Tom Gray.  Subs: Darren Evans (for Gray 69), Tomos Williams (for Maboy 46), Parmveer Chatha (for Marriott 46).


Newtown: Lewis Jones (GK), Rhys Morris, Kevin Forysewski, Dray Rogers, Warren Roberts, Cenwyn Bloor-Jones, Jake Mann, Tunham Ongun, Cameron Vowles, Tim Whittington, Will Evans.  Subs: Dane Lloyd (for Forysewski 75), Dino Georgiou (for Whittington 54).


Media. Contact: stewart.bloor@tnsfc.co.uk