Edwards And Rawlinson In Five Goal Thriller As Wales Lose Out To England

This evening, at Barry Town United’s Jenner Park, we proudly witnessed Aeron Edwards and Connell Rawlinson represent Wales in a C international fixture against England. Not only did both make Mark Jones’ starting line-up but Connell wore the captain’s armband.

We were in Barry well ahead of kick-off and captured footage of the Welsh anthem being played across the public address system as everyone prepared for the game. You can listen to Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau via the embedded tweet below.


In addition, we were on hand to film the players as they arrived at Jenner Park on the team bus direct from their hotel. We captured that on our Facebook page that you can watch HERE. Following that, we took photographs of our players on their pre-game pitch walk.



The game itself got underway at 7.30 p.m. with both sides looking to play attractive football. A scramble in the England box in the seventh minute ended with the keeper, Grant Smith, pulling off a good save from Aeron Edwards at the expense of a corner.


At the break it was England who led, courtesy of a good strike in the 11th minute from Fejiri Okenababirhie. The forward looked set to double his side’s advantage with eight minutes of the half remaining but a perfectly timed tackle in the box from captain Rawlinson, at the expense of a corner, ensured the sides went into the break separated by just the one goal.

The Three Lions doubled their advantage with 52 minutes gone, as Okenababirhie grabbed his second, from the penalty spot. Ashley Morris dived the correct way – to his left – but was unable to keep the ball out.

A double-substitution by Mark Jones paid off though, as his namesake slotted the ball away from close range in the 63rd minute, to haul Wales back into the game.

The hopes of a comeback appeared to evaporate a quarter of an hour later however, as Okenababairhie struck brilliantly from outside the box to give Morris no chance, as he grabbed a hat-trick in the process.

Refusing to give up, the Wales side once again reduced the deficit, as Bala Town’s Chris Venables hit the ball confidently in the box and past the keeper to ensure the last ten minutes would be nervy for both sides.

Unfortunately for Edwards, Rawlinson and Wales, that’s how the game ended, as England triumphed 3-2.






Media. Contact: stewart.bloor@tnsfc.co.uk