The New Saints FC 4 Bangor City 1 – JD WPDL (North)

On Sunday October 14th, 16 of the Performance Phase players faced Bangor City at home in the Welsh Premier Development League (North) fixture.

The players and staff were looking for another positive performance after a brilliant week’s worth of training and two victories on Wednesday.

The players knew they would expect a tough game against a Bangor side, featuring a number of first team players, and we started the game off well, creating a number of chances before going ahead through James Rutter.

A clever, quick free kick saw Bangor soon level, which resulted in the teams going into the break 1-1.

Half-time the staff spoke about a lot of good things that we had witnessed, and encouraged the players to be more clinical in front of goal, as well as playing against the sun well.

The second half proved just that with the boys scoring a further 3 goals through Harley Steel’s thunderous effort, a James Parry penalty, after James Rutter was brought down, and a cool Tai Jones finish from a tight angle after a brilliant cross from substitute Finley Jeffries, to run out convincing 4-1 winners.

What was pleasing today was the positive impact made by all 3 subs and the relationships starting to form between the players. As a management team, we had to unfortunately leave a number of players out, but they were exceptionally professional with this decision.

We need to work on game management which we all agreed on, but can take massive positives from today’s game, which was clearly evident on the players’ faces at full-time.

We now move on to another big week with games against Fowler Academy in the Category 1 league and Stoke-On-Trent in the Colleges Cup.

Steve Benyon








After having their scheduled FAW Welsh Youth Cup tie at home to Cefn Albion Under 19s the previous Sunday postponed due to Cefn Albion being unable to raise a team, The New Saints Under 19 team’s return to action saw them record their 3rd straight victory with a 4-1 home win over Bangor City U19 in their JD Welsh Premier Development League (North) clash at Park Hall Stadium on Sunday afternoon.

Saints had gone into the game in 5th place in the table as the first of 3 teams level on 9 points but with a superior goal difference to that of both 6th placed Llandudno and 7th placed Rhyl.

Meanwhile, Bangor had gone into Sunday’s game in 3rd place level on 10 points with 4th placed Airbus UK Broughton (but with a better goal difference than The Wingmakers) with Connah’s Quay Nomads and Cefn Druids in top and 2nd respectively a further 2 points ahead.

Saints took the lead in the 17th minute when James Parry’s header forward from left to middle found Alex Cadman, whose pass found Lewis Rees who ran on and into the box before having his left foot shot from 12 yards parried to his left by City keeper Gruff Evans with the ball rebounding to James Rutter, who fired his right foot shot from 2 yards into the empty net.

City equalised just 63 seconds later (now in the 18th minute) when Sameron Dool, seeing Saints keeper Lewis Dutton off his line, sent a quickly taken free kick from 22 yards into Dutton’s left hand corner.

Saints went 2-1 up in the 62nd minute when Cadman’s through ball on the right found Tai Jones who took a touch and cut in before turning City defender Kian Owen twice and having his low right foot shot from 11 yards parried to his right by Evans.  The ball rebounded to sub Harley Steel who fired his left foot shot from 6 yards into the centre of the net.

Then in the 70th minute, Parry played a one-two with Ismail Ozdemir down the left before taking a big touch which took him into the box before City defender Gethin Thomas ran into him, leaving referee Patrick Wilding little option to award a penalty.  However, Thomas fell and dislocated his shoulder in the challenge and after a delay which saw him first treated and then replaced by sub Louis McFarlenne in the 73rd minute, Parry stepped up to fire the resulting spot kick past Evans to make it 3-1 in the 74th minute.

It was 4-1 at the end of the 84th minute when sub Fin Jeffries ran down the left before crossing to the far post where Jones sent his low right foot shot from a tight angle just inside the right edge of the 6 yard box across the face of the goal and just inside Evans’ right hand post.

The final blast of referee Wilding’s whistle after a total of 5 and a half minutes of added time brought the game to an end and confirmed Saints’ 3rd straight win.

Saints’ win and results elsewhere mean that Steve Benyon’s side move up to 3rd place, a point behind 2nd placed Connah’s Quay Nomads with leaders Cefn Druids a further 2 points ahead, albeit having played a game more.

Meanwhile, City’s defeat leaves them in 5th place.

Saints: Lewis Dutton, James Parry, Alex Cadman, Aaron Lloyd, Liam Ihekwoaba, Lewis Rees, Louis Bradford, Alex Brownhill, James Rutter,  Tai Jonesa, Ismail Ozdemir.  Subs: Fin Jeffries (for Ozdemir 83), Harley Steel (for Rutter 55), Harry Woledge (for Brownhill 78), Owen Jones (not used), Rob Johnson (not used).

Bangor: Gruff Evans, Cian Williams, Kian Owen, Sameron Dool, Sam Ashworth, Gethin Thomas, Dylan Summers-Jones, Huw Gwynn, Benn Lundstram, Sam Jones, Alex Boss.  Subs: Caio Hughes (for Lundstram 65), Guto Hughes (not used), Steff Taylor (not used), Louis McFarlenne (for Thomas 73), Ben Williams (not used).