Match Report, As TNS Book First FAW Youth Cup Final Place In Five Years

The New Saints under-19s booked their place in the final of the FAW Youth Cup for the first time in five years, after running out 2-1 winners against Cardiff Metropolitan University at a snowy Latham Park.

A closely fought affair was decided in three frantic first-half minutes, as all three goals were scored almost instantly after the other, which ended with TNS leading 2-1 at the break.

There were a couple of scares in the second period, but careful game management ensured that The Saints came through unscathed to claim their place in the final.

It was scrappy start to the game, with both teams looking to get a foothold of the match.

With seven minutes played, Lewis Dutton did well to tip a Cardiff cross over the crossbar for a corner, before James Parry flashed an effort across the face of goal just four minutes later.

It took until the 25th minute for the deadlock to finally be broken. After an initial shot was spilled by the Met goalkeeper, Tomos Williams was on hand to follow-up, Cooley slottinghis effort into the back of the net and giving The Saints a 1-0 lead.

The lead was a very short-lived one however, as almost instantly, the Archers hit back. Poor TNS defending presented Met’s Ioan Evans with a chance to tap home and he made no mistake in confining inside the six-yard-box.

And if TNS’ lead was short-lived, Cardiff’ found themselves behind again even faster. From kick-off, The Saints took the ball forward once more and James Parry fired home to restore the lead.

That was the last of the first-half drama as 2-1 was how the sides went in at the break.

Dutton was in action once more shortly after the restart. A cross from the left was met by goal scorer Ioan Evans in the penalty area, and The Saints’ number one needed to be at full-stretch to keep out the volley.

For TNS, it was a nail-biting second period, knowing just how close they were to that final. With 62 minutes on the clock, and with Cardiff Met again on the attack, Josh Bailey had to be alert, as he stopped Evans getting goal side.

There were still plenty of chances for The Saints themselves though, with both Parry and substitute Owen Jones going close. The latter struck the post in the 75th minute.

With just two minutes remaining, Cardiff Met did eventually get the ball in the back of the net once more. Fortunately, from a TNS perspective, the referee adjudged there to have been a handball in the build-up and disallowed the goal, preserving the lead.

And that proved to be the side from South Wales’ final chance, as the referee put his whistle to his mouth, ending the game, and sending TNS through to a first final in five years.


Media. Contact: