England C 2 Wales C 2 – With The Focus On Wales’ Captain, Aeron Edwards

Following on from the corresponding fixture at Barry Town United’s Jenner Park twelve months ago, TNS FC’s midfielder Aeron Edwards, once again made not only the squad but also the starting line-up. However, the industrious Edwards – who is having a great season with the champions of Wales – went one better this time round with Mark Jones naming him as captain.

That honour fell last time round to another TNS FC player, Connell Rawlinson, who has since departed Park Hall and now plays his football in the fourth tier of the English system with Port Vale FC.

This evening’s game, played at Salford City’s Peninsula Stadium, saw Edwards proudly lead the team out.

The opening ten minutes witnessed both sides looking lively, with TNS FC’s sole representative in the squad enjoying an energetic start, as he rose to the challenge of the responsibility entrusted to him on the night.

As we hit the halfway stage of the first half, it was more of the same, although neither keeper had been seriously tested. In the 25th minute, however, the deadlock was broken, as Nathan Peate found the back of the net. Unfortunately though for the defender, it was past Ramsey for an own goal, as England took the lead following a low ball in from Trotman down the right.

Looking to hit back immediately, interaction between Edwards and Henry Jones didn’t quite come off for the visitors. They were back in the game though in the 31st minute, when McLaggon got on the end of a free-kick whipped in from Wales’ right.

Three minutes later, Edwards rose to a ball played in from a corner on the other side, but a crowded penalty area ensured that the keeper remained untroubled on this occasion as the first half ended 1-1.

The second period began very much like the first, with both sides looking to stamp their authority on the game. It was England who did exactly that though in the 53rd minute, as a superb free-kick gave the JD Welsh Premier League representatives no chance, as the three lions took the lead.

With the two-thirds stage of the game just gone, a superb strike from Cardiff Metropolitan University FC’s striker, Adam Roscrow, saw Wales back into the game at 2-2. Meanwhile, Aeron Edwards continued to feature, as he put in a battling captain’s shift in midfield.

As we hit the final quarter of an hour, a solid headed Edwards clearance from an England free-kick, was followed by the home soil team clipping the post with the game there for the taking. Further good work from the captain denied the hosts as they looked to once again get their noses in front.

A fantastic block in the penalty area, from our man, in the final minute denied England what would surely have been a goal and a repeat scoreline of the game last March.

Although England had the upper hand in the closing stages of the game, Wales more than held their own as the game finished all-square at 2-2.

Our league was well represented, with our very own Aeron Edwards at the heart of the battling draw.

The attendance was 709.

We created a photo album on our Facebook page that you can access HERE.

Lead image: Aeron Edwards with Wales C manager, Mark Jones.



Media. Contact: stewart.bloor@tnsfc.co.uk