Heartbreak For TNS Under-19s, Following Narrow FAW Youth Cup Final Defeat

Goals: Parry (63)                                                             Substitutions: T. Williams for O. Jones (56), Ozdemir for Rutter (83), Edwards for Woledge (90+2)

The New Saints Under-19s suffered heartbreak in their bid to lift the FAW Youth Cup, as Swansea City ran out 2-1 winners at Park Avenue.

The Swans opened the scoring with just four minutes on the clock, before doubling their advantage shortly after half-time.

A 63rd minute James Parry strike reduced the deficit, but TNS were unable to find the equaliser in the time that remained.

It was a flying start from the holders, who made the breakthrough with four minutes on the clock.

Good work down the left from Jacob Jones gave him the chance to whip in a cross and he picked out Josh Thomas. The latter got just enough on the ball to divert it past Lewis Dutton and give his side a 1-0 lead.

Saints soon regained their composure though, as Ben Clark cut out a Jones free-kick, before Dutton saved from Cameron Evans.

But Swansea continued to look threatening and Louis Bradford needed to be alert as he outmuscled Thomas on the byline.

Captain, Dutton, was kept busy and stood strong to deny De Boer from the six-yard-line, after the Dutchman has been found by Simone Paulet with 38 minutes gone.

That was the end of a competitive first-half of action, with Swansea heading into the break with the lead.

Swansea started the second period quickly too and could’ve doubled their advantage within three minutes.

The ball dropped to Brandon Cooper at the back post following a free-kick, and with the goal gaping, he was unable to keep his effort on target.

Just five minutes later though, the Swans did grab a second goal. Ex-TNS loanee, Ben Cabango, picked out Paulet in the penalty area, who spun and slotted the ball into the bottom corner. 2-0.

It would’ve been easy for TNS heads to drop, but Ben Clark called Swansea keeper, Alex Rutter, into action with a header on the penalty spot.

And with 63 minutes played, The Saints found a way back into the match. James Parry collected the ball just inside the Swansea half, before carrying the ball past several defenders.

His shot from the edge of the area caught Rutter off guard, and the effort went sailing into the goal.

The goal sent one or two nerves through the Swansea camp and TNS were the stronger side in the closing stages.

With six minutes remaining, a superb interception by Ben Clark sent The Saints on a counter attack, with the midfielder leading the charge. He showed good vision to slip in substitute, Tomos Williams, who went 1v1 with the goalkeeper.

Rutter was off his line quickly though and forced Williams wide, and as a result the move broke down.

That proved to be The Saints’ final opportunity however, and Swansea did enough to hold on to clinch their 10th FAW Youth Cup in a row.


Media. Contact: sam.wood@tnsfc.co.uk