The New Saints Reach The FAW Youth Cup Semi-Final After A Hard-Fought Extra-Time Victory Against Caerau Ely

The New Saints Under-19s 5-3 Caerau Ely Under-19s Match Report

FAW Youth Cup Quarter-Final

The New Saints Under-19s reached the semi-final of the FAW Youth Cup for the second successive season following a hard-fought 5-3 victory against Caerau Ely Under-19s at Park Hall.

Having spent the majority of the match trailing, a late second-half comeback, inspired by Lewis Bloor and Ryan Dacey goals, forced extra-time, in which The Saints proved clinical to clinch victory in the tie.

It was Simon Smith’s side who were very much in the ascendency in the opening stages and had two great chances to go in front.

With four minutes played, a long ball forward caused problems for the visitors defence, when it fell kindly to James Rutter on the edge of the box. The number 10 tried to find the corner with a lobbed effort, but his shot was deflected behind. 

Then, just two minutes later, Lewis Bloor could’ve scored from close range, however, he dragged the effort wide.

The Saints were made to pay for those missed chances, as in the ninth minute, the visitors took the lead.  A quick breakaway caught the home side napping, allowing Hywel Davies the chance to slot home from the edge of the six-yard-box.

And it wasn’t until minute 25 when The Saints managed to get back on level terms. It was a powerful Lewis Rees strike from the edge of the box, which nestled into the far corner of the goal, giving visiting goalkeeper, Levi Robson, no chance whatsoever.

But no sooner had the goal been scored, the visitors were celebrating again at the other end. It was David Lyon with an equally good strike, as he curled the ball into the far corner of the goal, past Lewis Dutton, restoring his side’s advantage.

There were no more goals in the first-half, but it took just six minutes after the restart for the visitors to find the net again. A driven ball across the penalty area from the left hand side picked out Davies in the middle, who finished from close range to score his second of the game.

All of a sudden it became an uphill task for Smith’s side and their cause wasn’t helped in the 61st minute, when their appeals for a penalty fell on deaf ears.

That proved to be the turning point in the match however, and The Saints began to pile on the pressure from then on.

Some last ditch defending from the visiting side saw a TNS header cleared off the line in the 68th minute, before Ryan Smith’s 75th minute was agonisingly inches high of the crossbar.

And The Saints were handed a lifeline in the 81st minute, when the ball fell kindly at the feet of Lewis Bloor. After Robson had made a fantastic initial save to deny Lewis Rees, the rebound fell at the feet of the number 19, who only needed to get a touch to the ball to divert it into the net. 

TNS continued to apply intense pressure and it paid off once again, as they grabbed the equaliser in the 87th. It was Ryan Dacey who climbed highest above everyone inside the box, as he powered in a header to make the score 3-3 and send the match to extra-time.

Again very much the side in the ascendancy, The Saints wasted no time in taking the lead following the restart, as Lewis Rees scored his second of the game inside the first minute of the additional period.

His finish, from inside the penalty area completed an impressive turnaround for the under-19s, but the scoring wasn’t finished there.  Dacey got in on the act once more in the 12th minute of extra-time, as he headed another corner into the back of the net, and sent The New Saints into the semi-final of the FAW Youth Cup for the second successive season.


The New Saints Under-19s Team

30. Lewis Dutton
2. Ryan Morgan
5. Roman Allen
8. Aaron Lloyd
9. Lewis Rees
10. James Rutter
12. Ryan Smith
15. Ryan Dacey
19. Lewis Bloor
27. Regan Jones
70. Will Nevitt



1. Robbie Williams
4. Alex Cadman
20. Beau Cornish
80. Malachai Balogun


Media. Contact: