Braces For Williams And Woledge As Newtown Beaten In The JD WPDL

Today (February 17, 2019) saw 15 of the Performance Phase players entertain Newtown AFC at home in the Welsh Premier Development League (North), writes Steve Benyon.

Fielding two first-team players in Joash Nembhard and Kane Lewis, with both requiring minutes, the starting 11 began the game patiently keeping the ball and looking for gaps to appear in a well organised Newtown outfit.

An unfortunate handball on the edge of the area resulted in the first goal from Owen Williams, who went on to add to his tally after a turn and quick shoot inside the 6 yard area, to see us go into the half-time interval 2-0 up.

The second half saw a mistake from 2 of the defensive players, resulting in a goal for the visitors, but this seemed to spurn the players on who went on to score a further 3 goals through Lewis Rees and a double from Harry Woledge, including a Van Basten-type finish (although he admitted it was a cross).

The players could have added to the tally, but the visiting goalkeeper made some vital saves, to see us win 5-1.



Next week sees the players have a few days off, and then returning to Park Hall for a session on Friday.


Lead image courtesy of JD Welsh Premier league.









After making it through to the semi finals of the FAW Welsh Youth Cup with a 5-1 home win over Cefn Druids in the quarter finals the previous Sunday, The New Saints U19 team made it back to back wins with a 5-1 home win over Newtown U19 in their JD Welsh Premier Development League (North) clash at Park Hall Stadium on Sunday.

Saints went into the game in 4th place in the table, 7 points behind leaders Cefn Druids with the same number of games played.

Meanwhile, Newtown went into the game on the back of 3 straight league defeats (conceding 22 goals) out of a total winless run in all competitions of 8 games (7 league, 1 Welsh Youth Cup) dating back to 11th November which had left them bottom of the table.

Saints eventually took the lead in the 39th minute when Kane Lewis’ low through ball down the middle found James Rutter on the edge of the D who took a touch and held it up before sending a low ball on the left to the overlapping Owen Williams, who took a touch before firing his low left foot shot from 17 yards into Newtown keeper Archie Jones left hand corner.

It was 2-0 with 4 seconds of normal time left at the end of the first half when Lewis Rees’ low through ball on the right found Rutter who ran on before pulling the ball back low to the right hand corner of the 6 yard box for Williams, who took a touch and turned before firing his left foot shot into Jones’ right hand corner.

Both sides made a change at half time with Alex Brownhill coming on to replace Josh Bailey for Saints and Keane Marks coming on to replace Drew Cook for Newtown.

Newtown pulled a goal back in the 51st minute when Taylor Wozencraft chased down Brownhill to win a tackle with him some 30 yards out on the left and ran on before having his left foot shot from 12 yards half stopped by Saints keeper Lewis Dutton with the ball rolling over the line for a sloppy goal for Steve Benyon’s side to concede.

Newtown made their second change immediately after the goal with Bailee Austin came on to replace Jamie Evans.

Then at the other end just before the end of the 54th minute, Joash Nembhard’s ball in from the right found Harry Woledge who cut inside and beat 4 men before being brought down just inside the right of the box by Will Evans.  Welshpool referee Alice Wilding said penalty and after keeper Jones was shown a yellow card for his protest at the decision, Woledge stepped up to fire the resulting spot kick past Jones to make it 3-1 (goal time 54).

Saints made their second change just into the 62nd minute when Tai Jones came on to replace Williams.

Then in the 66th minute, Brownhill’s low pass infield from the left found Rees on the edge of the box, who fired his first time left foot shot from 16 yards past Jones.

Saints made their final change in the 67th minute before play restarted when Finley Jeffries came on to replace Luis Edwards.

It was 5-1 in the 69th minute when Jeffries ran down the left and checked before taking a touch and passing backwards to Rees, whose first time cross to the far post found Woledge who fired his first time right foot volley from tight angle from 8 yards into Jones’ top right hand corner for a goal similar to Marco Van Basten’s for Holland in the 1988 European Championship Final v Russia.

Newtown made their final change in the 70th minute when Jack Bright came on for Steff Evans.

Newtown continued to battle despite the scoreline but their cause was made even harder when, with having used all 3 permitted subs, Harry Watkins went off injured in the 74th minute to leave the visitors to battle on with just 10 men for the final 20 minutes.

There were no more goals after that and the final blast of referee Wilding’s whistle after just 17 seconds of added time at the end brought the game to an end.

Saints’ win and Connah’s Quay Nomads’ 2-2 home draw with Bangor City mean that Saints move up from 4th to 3rd with Nomads dropping down to 4th, albeit with a game in hand over Saints.

Saints: Lewis Dutton, Kane Lewis, Ethan Short, Lewis Rees, Josh Bailey, Joash Nembhard, Harry Woledge, Owen Williams, James Rutter, Luis Edwards, Owen Jones.  Subs: Aaron Lloyd (not used), Finley Jeffries (for Edwards 67), Alex Brownhill (for Bailey 46), Tai Jones (for Williams 62).


Newtown: Archie Jones, Jack Francis, Steff Evans, Cameron Mills, Harry Watkins, Xavier Mattise, Taylor Wozencraft, Will Evans, Drew Cook, Henry Watkins, Jamie Evans.  Subs: Bailee Austin (for Jamie Evans 51), Keane Marks (for Cook 46), Jack Bright (for Steff Evans 70).


The New Saints Under 19 team’s next scheduled game is against Cardiff Met University U19 in the  semi finals of the FAW Welsh Youth Cup, which is to be played at Newtown’s Latham Park ground on Sunday 10th March with a 2.00pm kick off.



Media. Contact:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *