A Disappointing Defeat At Park Avenue – Aberystwyth Town 1-0 The New Saints FC


Match Report

Substitutions: Seargeant for Draper (55), Ebbe for Holland (55), Byrne for Routledge (79)
Yellow cards: Cabango (75), Edwards (90+3)

With The New Saints FC and Aberystwyth Town FC going into the game in 1st and 7th place respectively, there was plenty to play for. One point ahead of Connah’s Quay Nomads, the reigning JD Welsh Premier League champions were looking to extend the lead at the top.

Aberystwyth on the other hand, just nine points behind The Saints, have very real hopes of their own of a top-six finish come the end of Phase One.

The opening exchanges were lively as both sides looked to establish an early hold on the game. The visitors had shots from Edwards and then Brobbel, without testing McCormick in the Aberystwyth goal.

Following a spell of pressure, it was the home team who had the first serious attempt on goal, as a header from Ahmadi struck the bar following a Baynes cross from the right.

As we hit the halfway stage in the first period, the game continued to be open, although neither side was able to break the deadlock.

An ambitious attempt by Draper to chip the keeper didn’t quite come off, as McCormick comfortably saved.

Back in the side following his one-match suspension, it was then Routledge’s turn to go for goal but his long-range shot was well off target.

In the 30th minute, good work from the visitors saw Mullan shoot straight at the keeper from a central position.

A foul by Edwards led to an Aberystwyth free-kick in a dangerous position. The shot from Jones was saved by Harrison, as he dived low to his left.

Aberystwyth thought they had opened the scoring, following a superb run from Kellaway that resulted in the ball hitting the back of the net via Phillips. The assistant referee ruled the effort offside though, much to the annoyance of the home supporters.

Both sides continued to play attacking football, and created chances, although as the whistle blew for the break the scores remained goalless.

Half-Time 0-0

Another foul by TNS’ Edwards saw an Aberystwyth free-kick as Walker’s shot hit the wall, although the home side did win a corner. Played in from the right, the ball was smashed home at the far post by substitute Jenkins, with 52 minutes on the clock.

Both sides then created chances with Seargeant and Brobbel for The New Saints followed by a great block from Routledge at the other end to deny Kellaway.

Approaching the three-quarter stage of the game it was Aberystwyth who looked the more likely to score. The best attempt was a curling short from Phillips that went just wide as Harrison dived to his left.

The New Saints almost pulled level in the 70th minute, as great work down the right involving several players ended with Brobbel putting his shot from inside the area wide of McCormick’s left post.

As we entered the final ten, a superb close-range save from McCormick denied Brobbel, although unknown to both players the flag was up for offside.

With the clock continuing to tick down, The New Saints were unable to find a way through a determined Aberystwyth side as the game hit 90 minutes.

Although there were four additional minutes, it was The Seasiders who celebrated at the final whistle, as they achieved their first home win against TNS FC in eleven years.


Date Time League Season
2nd November 2018 7:45 pm JD Cymru Premier 2018 – 2019


Park Avenue
1 Maesyrafon, Aberystwyth SY23 1PL, UK


Aberystwyth Town1
The New Saints FC0

The New Saints FC

1Paul Harrison Goalkeeper
2Simon Spender Defender
3Chris Marriott Defender
6Jon Routledge 21 Midfielder
8Ryan Brobbel Midfielder
9Greg Draper 17 Forward
14Jamie Mullan Forward
17Dean Ebbe 9 Forward
20Joash Nembhard Defender
21Kurtis Byrne 6 Forward
23Aeron Edwards Midfielder