Six Of The Best As The New Saints FC Beat Barry Town United


Match Report

Match report by Stewart Bloor

Following home victories against Ynys Môn and Pascal Chimbonda’s Pro Ethical Elite Football Academy, it was a more familiar opponent for The New Saints FC this evening, with Jenner Park the destination for the reigning JD Welsh Premier League champions.

With European football on the horizon, the game proved to be a valuable work out for both Barry Town United and the visitors. The latter took to the field in the familiar green and white, while the home team wore a predominantly all-black kit.

The first real chance of the game fell to Kayne McClaggon in the fifth minute. His electric pace saw him through on goal with just Paul Harrison to beat but the TNS goalkeeper stood his ground to deny the striker.

In an open game, with both sides looking to play football, no more opportunities were created by either team as we hit the one-half stage of the first period.

Although Barry arguably had the early edge, the first goal of the game fell to the visitors. In the 28th minute a clever ball in from a trialist found Jamie Mullan who made no mistake as he beat the keeper in the box.

Eight minutes later, the lead was doubled, as a good run down the right from Kurtis Byrne saw his low ball in met by Adrian Cieslewicz at the far post, who found the net from close range.

Certainly not allowing heads to drop, it was McClaggon again who then had a chance to score for Barry. This time, after bringing the ball down on the edge of the penalty area, he blasted over.

It was third-time lucky though for the energetic Dragons’ forward, as a terrific shot from the right gave Harrison no chance, as he reduced the deficit in the dying minutes of the first period.


Half-Time: Barry Town United 1 The New Saints FC 2


In the 52nd minute, with Gavin Chesterfield’s team starting the half brightly, Paul Harrison was again called upon, as he denied Barry Town United an equaliser with a good save.

At the other end, a low ball in from Ben Clark came off Kurtis Byrne, as the Irish Striker went wide in what would have been a cruel goal for the home side to conceded.

Just after though, Byrne did find the net in an identical scenario. This time it was a drive from Jon Routledge that deflected past the keeper, as the two-goal cushion was restored.

In the 68th minute, great work involving Clark and Byrne ended with the former heading just wide from close range.

Four minutes on and a tremendous shot from the right from Byrne smashed the back of the net, as The New Saints went 4-1 up.

With a quarter of an hour to go, Billy Whitehouse finished a good move with an equally impressive effort as the JD Welsh Premier League champions extended the lead.

The sixth goal, with four minutes to go looked like it would go to Harry Bower as he beat the keeper with a shot, after connecting with a good ball from Cieslewicz. However, the Barry defender got a final touch before the ball finally crossed the line.


Full-Time: Barry Town United 1 The New Saints FC 6


Scorers: Mullan (28), Cieslewicz (36), Byrne (57, 72), Whitehouse (75), own goal (86)




Date Time League Season
18th June 2019 7:15 pm Friendly 2019 - 2020


Jenner Park
185 Barry Rd, Barry CF62 9BG, UK


Barry Town United1
The New Saints FC6