An End To The Nathaniel MG Cup Campaign – Cambrian and Clydach Vale 2-1 The New Saints


Match Report

Goals: Draper (107)
Yellow Cards: Seargeant (43), Holland (70)
Substitutions: Cieslewicz for Ebbe (65), Redmond for Brobbel (76), Hmami for Holland (94), Cabango for Nembhard (104)

The New Saints suffered their first Nathaniel MG Cup defeat since 2013, after losing 2-1 against Cambrian and Clydach Vale.

An end to end game produced no goals in the regulation 90 minutes and it took until extra-time for the ball to finally hit the back of the net.

Greg Draper got TNS back into the match in the 17th minute of extra-time after the hosts took the lead in the 10th, but it was Andre Griffiths’ 23rd minute goal that proved decisive, and capped an extremely disappointing night for The Saints.


As perhaps expected, it was The New Saints who saw most of the possession in the opening stages of the match. After finding space in the penalty area, Dean Ebbe went down under the challenge of the home defence. There were slight appeals for a TNS penalty, but it would have been a harsh decision against the hosts.

The Irish striker was involved again with 10 minutes on the clock. Cambrian defender Keiron Cole took a heavy touch in the penalty area and it was Ebbe racing in to challenge. The number 17 almost got a toe to the ball, but Cole recovered just in time to scramble the ball clear.

Soon after though, it was The Saints who could have taken the lead. Great work by Simon Spender, playing on the left once again tonight, allowed him pace to cross into the middle. The ball reaches Greg Draper at the back post, but it was too fast for him and hit the New Zealand international before going out for a goal kick.

The action continued at both end right through the first 45 minutes. Connor Roberts was called into action with 34 minutes gone, saving well to prevent Cambrian and Clydach from going a goal ahead.

Roberts’ save resulted in a corner for the home side and the danger wasn’t over. The corner came into the area from the left and Kyle Jones header grazed the crossbar – the closest any side came to taking the lead.


The start of the second 45 minutes was much quieter than the end of the opening period. Ryan Brobbel brought a comfortable save from the home goalkeeper, Dan Bradley, with 51 minutes played, following good work from Chris Seargeant.

At the other end, Simon Spender did well to deny Richard French a shot on goal, after he did well to get away from a couple of covering TNS defenders.

With 65 minutes played, confusion in The Saints’ penalty area nearly sent the home side ahead. Joash Nembhard and Connor Roberts both left the ball for each other, not realising that there were Cambrian players in close proximity. The hosts managed to pick up the ball, before scrambling a shot towards the goal, which Chris Marriott was forced to clear off the line.

As the half continued, it was a game that could’ve gone either way.

With seven minutes to go, Greg Draper sets himself well with a good run, before unleashing an effort at goal. Unfortunately for The Saints though, the shot took a deflection off the home defender and flashed across the goalmouth.

With the deadlock still not broken, the game moved into a period of extra-time.


It was Scott Ruscoe’s side who had the half’s first chance. After the ball found Greg Draper on the edge of the six-yard box, it took a fantastic save from Bradley at point blank range to deny The Saints’ striker.

It was joy for Cambrian just four minutes later though. A corner from the left came into the penalty area, and substitute Mark Crutch was on hand to head the ball into the back of the net, sending the home crowd into delirium.

Cambrian and Clydach lead at the extra-time interval, and many of their fans began to dream of a place in the final.

But with just two minutes gone in the second-half of extra time, the referee awarded TNS a penalty after a pull back in the box. It fell to the ever-reliable Greg Draper to step up from the spot, bringing the scores level and getting his side back into the game.

The hosts weren’t to be deterred though. It would’ve been easy for heads to drop but they continued to push. And they got their reward with seven minutes to go. Connor Roberts could only parry a shot into the path of Andre Griffiths to tap home into the empty net.

And that’s how the score finished, as The New Saints suffered their first Nathaniel MG Cup defeat since 2013.


Date Time League Season
23rd November 2018 7:45 pm Nathaniel MG Cup 2018 – 2019


The M&P Group 3G
Clydach Vale, Tonypandy CF40 2XX, UK


Cambrian & Clydach Vale2
The New Saints FC1

The New Saints FC

2Simon Spender Defender
3Chris Marriott Defender
6Jon Routledge Midfielder
8Ryan Brobbel 10 Midfielder
9Greg Draper Forward
10Danny Redmond 8 Midfielder
11Adrian Cieslewicz 17 Forward
17Dean Ebbe 11 Forward
18Josh Hmami 4 Midfielder
20Joash Nembhard 5 Defender
22Kane Lewis Defender
25Connor Roberts Goalkeeper