Last Gasp Davies Header Secures A Point For The Reigning Champions – Cardiff Metropolitan University 1-1 The New Saints FC


Match Report

Goals: Davies (90+6)
Yellow cards: Hudson (13), Edwards (32), Harrington (36), Whitehouse (90+5)
Substitutions: Draper for Harrington (46), Byrne for Lewis (64), Whitehouse for Brobbel (75)

Match report by Stewart Bloor.

Going into the game, a win for either side would have seen them go top of the table, a position occupied prior to kick-off by Barry Town United, who took advantage of a Saturday victory at Airbus UK to move into pole position.

As it was, come the final whistle, the spoils were shared, courtesy of a last-gasp header from Keston Davies.

The first attempts on goal fell to the visitors in the opening exchanges. Dean Ebbe twisted and turned in the penalty area only for his resultant shot to be blocked by the masses of Cardiff bodies in the box.

Aeron Edwards then forced the keeper into a good save, with the resultant corner finding the Wales C captain who looked like he had broken the deadlock, only for the ball to be cleared off the line.

However, the home side remained unperturbed, as Eliot Evans almost immediately fired home from inside the left of the penalty area to give Cardiff Met the lead in the 5th minute. 1-0

Although both sides looked lively and attempted to dominate proceedings, as we hit the halfway stage of the first half, there was no further score.

The New Saints then looked the most likely to find the net, with Ryan Brobbel’s shot going just over at the one-third stage of the game. The home side had their chances though as well, as the clock continued to tick down to the half-time whistle.

In the dying moments of the first half, it looked like the reigning champions had pulled level. Doing well to keep the ball in on the right, a cross from Kane Lewis found Ebbe. Unfortunately, though, for the Irish Striker, his curling shot went the wrong side of the keeper’s right post.

Half-time: Cardiff Metropolitan University FC 1 The New Saints FC 0

The visitors were denied again by great goalkeeping from Alex Lang. Nine minutes into the second period, a fantastic run from Cieslewicz down the left, and into the box, saw Ebbe play the ball into the path of Edwards, only for the keeper to pull off another tremendous save.

Although the visitors had the edge as we hit the two-thirds stage of the game, Cardiff were anything but on the ropes, as they looked to extend their lead rather than defend it.

It was The New Saints though who created the opportunities as the game wore on, with the pace of Adrian Cieslewicz causing constant problems for the Archers.

With the hosts camped in their own half for the final minutes, a corner from Mariott on the right was met by a powerful last gasp Keston Davies header that rescued a point for Scott Ruscoe’s side.

Full-time: Cardiff Metropolitan University FC 1 The New Saints FC 1


Date Time League Season
16th September 2019 8:00 pm JD Cymru Premier 2019 - 2020


Cyncoed Campus
9 Cyncoed Rd, Cardiff CF23 6XD, UK


Cardiff Metropolitan University1
The New Saints FC1

The New Saints FC

1Paul Harrison Goalkeeper
3Chris Marriott Defender
4Keston Davies Defender
6Jon Routledge Midfielder
7Dean Ebbe Forward
8Ryan Brobbel 32 Midfielder
9Greg Draper 24 Forward
11Adrian Cieslewicz Forward
12Blaine Hudson Defender
22Kane Lewis 21 Defender
24Ryan Harrington 9 Defender
21Kurtis Byrne 22 Forward
32Billy Whitehouse 8 Midfielder