Welsh Cup Exit On Deeside – Connah’s Quay Nomads 2 The New Saints 1


Match Report

Goal: Aeron Edwards (2)

Substitutions: Draper for Ebbe (30), Pryce for Rawlinson (60), Kauber for Edwards (82)

Yellow: Mullan (53)

Attendance: 259


On a disappointing night in Flintshire, The New Saints of Oswestry Town exited the JD Welsh Cup at the quarter-final stage. Although Scott Ruscoe’s side took an early lead, it was the Nomads who bounced back to progress in the competition.

Last season’s runners-up got off to a perfect start, with less than two minutes on the clock. Chris Marriott’s free-kick from the right passed through a cluster of players in the box, with Aeron Edwards getting the decisive touch at the far post.

Two minutes on it was another free kick-from the same area. This time though Marriott’s ball in the box bounced and went behind for a goal kick.

It was all action from the go, as at the other end a mistake by Steve Saunders was pounced on by Mike Wilde. Agonisingly though, for the ex-TNS striker, his curling shot was wide of Andy Wycherley’s left post.

Connah’s Quay were level in the seventh minute, as a well-executed free-kick from Michael Bakare passed through a crowded penalty area and into the back of the net.

The goalscorer looked to get his second, as he turned in the box and shot, only for Saunders to put in a great block with the Nomads winning a corner in the process.

Bakare again created an opportunity as he made his way in the box but this time Wycherley smothered the shot. The young keeper, recalled from his loan spell at second tier (north) side Guilsfield, was in for the suspended Paul Harrison.

The stopper was again called into action, as a long throw into the box led to a goal line clearance by Saunders, before Wycherley then pulled off another good save.

In the final minute of the half it was John Danby’s turn to save his side from falling behind. Another free-kick from the right taken by Marriott, who was captain on the night, was met by a header that saw excellent reactions from the man in orange as the teams went into the break with the score 1-1.

The second period saw no let up in the tempo, as both sides went for the win. It was Connah’s Quay though that got the decisive goal, which eventually proved to be all that separated the teams come the final whistle.

A clumsy challenge from Scotland international Saunders in the box saw referee Lee Evans blow his whistle and point to the spot. Making no mistake, Callum Morris slotted home in the 49th minute.

With Ryan Pryce replacing Rawlinson at the two-thirds stage of the game, The New Saints switched to a back four.

Blaine Hudson, in an advanced position, got on the end of a ball in the box only for his effort to go just over, as Scott Ruscoe’s side pushed for the crucial goal that would pull them back into the game.

Connah’s Quay created their own opportunities, as a corner from the right saw the crossbar rattled and another great save from Wycherley.

This was followed six minutes on, as the clock showed 74, by a Wilde effort going just wide, as good work down the right by Morris set up the striker.

As the game entered the final ten minutes a free-kick just outside the box from Brobbel came to nothing, as the six-man wall and crowded penalty area denied the Northern Ireland U-21 international.

This will be the first time since 2012/2013 that The New Saints have failed to make a JD Welsh Cup final. In the four appearances during that time, the club has lifted the trophy three times, with the single defeat coming in last season’s game against Bala Town.



Photograph gallery. Credit: Brian Jones



Date Time League Season
6th March 2018 7:45 pm JD Welsh Cup 2017 - 2018


Deeside Stadium
72 Kelsterton Rd, Connah\'s Quay, Deeside CH5 4BJ, UK


Connah’s Quay Nomads2
The New Saints FC1

The New Saints FC

3Chris Marriott Defender
6Jon Routledge Midfielder
8Ryan Brobbel Midfielder
12Blaine Hudson Defender
14Jamie Mullan Forward
17Dean Ebbe 9 Forward
23Aeron Edwards 27 Midfielder
9Greg Draper 17 Forward