Saints Edge A Five-Goal Thriller At The Kymco Stadium


Match Report

Goals: Draper (7), Ebbe (45+1, 86)
Substitutions: Mullan for Whitehouse (59), Byrne for Mullan (73)
Yellow cards: Routledge, Nembhard

Penybont FC 2 The New Saints FC 3

Match report by Stewart Bloor

Defending the club house end, the reigning champions got us underway in the JD Cymru MD10 fixture. We were in the fourth minute though before either goalkeeper was tested, as Paul Harrison dealt comfortably with a shot from Nathan Wood.

In the seventh minute though, as the Penybont ‘keeper, Rhys Wilson, took a free-kick from the left and outside the penalty, he made the decision to play it widthways and straight into the path of a very grateful Greg Draper, who slotted home into an empty net.

Although at a tight angle, the New Zealand international looked to double his – and TNS’ tally – when he managed to get a shot in as we passed the quarter of an hour mark. On this occasion though, a block from Oliver Dalton denied the striker.

However, in the twentieth minute, the home side was back in the game, as a neat run from Daniel Griffiths saw his low shot hit the back of the net to Harrison’s right.

In an open game, with both sides looking to grab the lead before the break, it was the visitors who came the closest in the dying minutes of the first half. A Blaine Hudson header was tipped over by Wilson though, as the ‘keeper made amends for his earlier error that led to the opening goal.

Right at the end however (45+1), the visitors restored their lead, as a Ryan Brobbel cross from the left was met by the head of Greg Draper, who found Dean Ebbe, as the Irishman made no mistake.

Half-time: Penybont FC 1 The New Saints FC 2

In the first ten minutes of the second period, the game continued to be played in an open manner, and although The New Saints had the better of the exchanges, neither goalkeeper was seriously tested.

As we approached the two-thirds stage of the game, Rhys Griffiths’ side, winning a free-kick on the right, whipped the ball in forcing Harrison to punch the danger away, as a reminder that as long as there was just one goal in it, it was still there for the taking.

A TNS FC ball in from the right was met by the head of Ebbe. His effort looked goal-bound but somehow Wilson kept it out at the expense of a corner, as the Saints looked to extend their lead.

In the 71st minute, a handball by Chris Marriott in the box resulted in the referee pointing to the spot. Kane Owen’s low kick to Harrison’s right ensured that for the second time, the Bont were back on level terms.

As we hit the final ten minutes, Penybont had two great opportunities in quick succession to take the lead for the first time in the game. However, bodies-on-the-line for the visitors ensured that the score remained 2-2 as the clock continued to tick down.

With just four minutes remaining a powerful strike from Kurtis Byrne, saw his left-footed strike inside the box tucked away by Dean Ebbe (originally credited to Byrne but since awarded to Ebbe) as The New Saints went ahead for the third time in the game.


Date Time League Season
19th October 2019 2:30 pm JD Cymru Premier 2019 - 2020


KYMCO Stadium
50 Banc-Yr-Allt, Bridgend CF31 4RH, UK


The New Saints FC3

The New Saints FC

1Paul Harrison Goalkeeper
2Simon Spender Defender
3Chris Marriott Defender
6Jon Routledge Midfielder
7Dean Ebbe Forward
8Ryan Brobbel Midfielder
9Greg Draper Forward
10Danny Redmond Midfielder
12Blaine Hudson Defender
14Jamie Mullan Forward
20Joash Nembhard Defender
21Kurtis Byrne Forward
32Billy Whitehouse Midfielder