Late Thunderbolt Stuns Saints – The New Saints FC 2-2 Barry Town United FC


Match Report

Goals: Byrne (1), Mullan (20)
Yellow cards: Holland (21), Brobbel (33), Hudson (37), Byrne (64), Spender (85) Routledge (88), Harrison (After final whistle)
Red cards: Holland (73)
Substitutions: Draper for Byrne (75), Cieslewicz for Brobbel (90+3)

Jonathan Hood rescued a point for Barry Town United in the seventh minute of injury time with a brilliantly taken edge of the box free-kick.

After goals from Kurtis Byrne and Jamie Mullan sent The Saints into a 2-0 lead after just 20 minutes, the visitors were back in the game on 33 through a controversial Kayne McLaggon penalty.

It looked like The Saints would hold on for the three points, though Barry grew into the game following Tom Holland 73rd minute dismissal and did eventually manage to snatch a point right at the death.


It took The Saints just 45 seconds to opening the scoring, courtesy of Kurtis Byrne. Collecting the ball on the edge of the penalty area, the Irish striker carried it into the box, before spotting Barry keeper Mike Lewis off his line. He showed great technique to lift a delicate lob over Lewis and give The Saints an early lead. 1-0.

The Saints’ lively start showed no sign of slowing either. With just nine minutes played, Jamie Mullan fed the ball expertly in the direction of Simon Spender on the right. Spender looked up, before picking out Ryan Brobbel in the area with a ball along the ground. The number eight tried his luck first time, and wasn’t too far away either, as the ball went just over the crossbar.

With 20 minutes on the clock though, TNS did eventually get their second. Danny Redmond picked the ball up on the left, before whipping in an excellent cross into the area for Jamie Mullan. The winger made no mistake with his finish, tapping home gratefully at the far post. 2-0.

Barry were presented with a lifeline with 32 minutes gone. After Chris Marriott appeared to have been pushed in the back, the assistant adjudged the defender to have handled the ball and raised the flag. The referee pointed to the spot, giving Kayne McLaggon a chance to get his side back in the game, and he made no mistake with a well taken penalty. 2-1.


Unlike the first-half, we had to wait 14 minutes of the second for the first chance on goal. A corner taken by Brobbel came in from the left, and it took a great save from Mike Lewis to prevent Blaine Hudson sending a powerful header into the bottom corner of the goal.

And despite that chance, the second-half couldn’t have more different than the first. Besides a couple of half chances for either side, there was very little to report.

The match became a very cagey affair in the 73rd minute though. After going in late with a challenge on Barry’s Paul Morgan on the half-way line, Tom Holland was shown his second yellow card, meaning Scott Ruscoe’s side were forced to play the remaining 17 minutes with 10 men.

Sensing their chance to grab an equaliser, Barry started to commit more bodies forward. Paul Harrison had to be alert to keep out a Kayne McLaggon effort.

And it looked as if The Saints were going to hold on for the three points, right up until the 7th minute of injury time. The referee decided to award a free-kick against TNS on the edge of the area which Jonathan Hood stepped up to dispatch expertly, ensuring Barry left Park Hall with a point.


Date Time League Season
16th February 2019 2:30 pm JD Cymru Premier 2018 – 2019


Park Hall Stadium
The Venue, Burma Rd, Whittington, Oswestry SY11 4AS, UK


The New Saints FC2
Barry Town United2

The New Saints FC

1Paul Harrison Goalkeeper
2Simon Spender Defender
3Chris Marriott Defender
6Jon Routledge Midfielder
8Ryan Brobbel 11 Midfielder
10Danny Redmond Midfielder
12Blaine Hudson Defender
14Jamie Mullan Forward
21Kurtis Byrne 9 Forward
9Greg Draper 21 Forward
11Adrian Cieslewicz 8 Forward