Spoils Shared In The Season Finale – The New Saints FC 3-3 Cardiff Metropolitan University FC


Match Report

Goals: Kauber (4, 7), Brobbel (78)

Substitutions: Mullan for Draper (57), Rawlinson for Saunders (65), Cieslewicz for Clark (79)

Booking: Clark (72)

Match report by Sam Wood

The spoils were shared at Park Hall in the final match of the 2017-2018 JD Welsh Premier League season as The New Saints and Cardiff Metropolitan University played out a 3-3 draw.

It was a fantastic spectacle as TNS raced into an early 2-0 lead, with Kevin Kauber grabbing both of the goals. The Archers fought back well though, and the sides went into the break level at 2-2.

The visitors took a 3-2 lead just two minutes into the second-half following a deflection, before Ryan Brobbel levelled after 78 minutes with a great volley.

The New Saints made the breakthrough after just four minutes. Channelling his display from last week, Ryan Pryce makes a good run into the box, before cutting the ball back to Kauber. The Estonian made no mistake finding the back of the net. 1-0.

It got better for TNS though. Kauber was on hand again just three minutes later to get a toe on the ball and turn it past Will Fuller once again. The Saints found themselves 2-0 up within seven minutes.

Cardiff Met had a golden chance to equalise after 16 minutes. Jordan Lam putting in a cross, but Adam Roscrow was forced to take the shot first time, and could only manage to divert it over the crossbar.

A brilliant cross from Simon Spender was played into the box after 22 minutes, but somehow the Met block Greg Draper’s shot on the line. Almost instantly, the Archers went up the other end and only a brilliant save by Paul Harrison denied them a way back into the game.

On 29 minutes, a great searching ball from Greg Draper found Kauber, but good away defending denied him a chance on goal and an attempt at the hat-trick.

Cardiff Met did find a way back into it on 35 minutes though. The ball fell to Joel Edwards on the edge of the box and he was able to catch a volley sweetly, which nestled in the bottom corner. 2-1.

Within four minutes, Cardiff Met were level. A shot that caught everyone by surprise trickled through a crowded penalty area, before going in off the post. Jordan Lam with the goal making it 2-2.

Just as it was a fantastic start to the first-half for TNS, the same can be said for Cardiff in the second. Just two minutes into it, they completed the turnaround, when a deflected shot from Adam Roscrow beat Paul Harrison to make the score 3-2.

The visitors continued to threaten. A quick counter-attack on 58 minutes brought a good save from Paul Harrison but it wasn’t one way traffic. Jon Routledge fancied a hit from 30 yards and Harri Lloyd needed to tip it wide for a corner.

Lloyd’s goal continued to be threatened. After 68 minutes, Ben Clark collected the ball of the edge of the box and had an effort on goal, but unfortunately from a TNS perspective, it went over the bar and into the car park behind the goal.

TNS’ best chance at equalising came on 74 minutes. After great work from Jamie Mullan down the right hand side created space for a cross, the pullback found Ryan Brobbel in space, but he got underneath the ball and the effort went over the crossbar.

Four minutes later Brobbel redeemed himself. Another cross into the box found him in space once more, but this time he struck a brilliantly timed volley past Harri Lloyd, who couldn’t get down in time to stop it. 3-3.

Cardiff rode their luck shortly after. On 83 minutes, the visitors cleared another effort off the line. After good work from substitute Adrian Cieslewicz allowed him to beat the defender, his effort hit Dean Ebbe, which turned it goalwards, but the defence did enough to get it clear.

Ebbe was involved again late on, as he met a header strongly on 89 minutes, but Cardiff goalkeeper Harri Lloyd did well to turn it over the bar.

The New Saints thought they’d snatched it right at the death, as Kevin Kauber put the ball into the net in the third minute of stoppage time, but unfortunately for him, the assistant had his flag raised, denying him his hat-trick and TNS the win, but ensuring Cardiff Metropolitan University left Park Hall with a point.

Lead photograph: Brian Jones.


Date Time League Season
27th April 2018 7:30 pm JD Cymru Premier 2017 - 2018


Park Hall Stadium
The Venue, Burma Rd, Whittington, Oswestry SY11 4AS, UK


The New Saints FC3
Cardiff Metropolitan University3

The New Saints FC

1Paul Harrison Goalkeeper
2Simon Spender Defender
6Jon Routledge Midfielder
8Ryan Brobbel Midfielder
9Greg Draper Forward
12Blaine Hudson Defender
17Dean Ebbe Forward
19Ben Clark Midfielder