Spoils Shared At Park Hall – The New Saints 1-1 Cardiff Metropolitan University


Match Report

Goals: Ebbe (87)
Yellow Cards: Routledge (30)
Substitutions: Ebbe for Byrne (74), Seargeant for Holland (81), Draper for Redmond (82)

The New Saints left Park Hall with a point this afternoon, after an 87th minute equalising goal ensured a 1-1 draw against Cardiff Metropolitan University.

After Cardiff had taken the lead through a 64th minute Adam Roscrow penalty, up popped substitute, Dean Ebbe, who rose high to head home a cross from the right and deny the visitors all three points, when it looked like another defeat was looming.


As possibly predicted, it was Scott Ruscoe’s side that saw most of the ball in the opening stages of the match. Cardiff’s Elliot Evans brought the game’s first save though, testing Paul Harrison with a free-kick from the edge of the box with 10 minutes played.

Just two minutes later, TNS went close. After being picked out by Cieslewicz’ cross, Kurtis Byrne couldn’t keep his header on target from the edge of the six-yard-box and it went out for a goal kick.

This time it was Cieslewicz who turned recipient, benefiting from Spender’s cross from the right, the Polish winger couldn’t connect though, and it was scrambled clear.

The rest of the first-half followed the same pattern, with The New Saints seeing plenty of chances coming their way. It just wasn’t to be in front of goal though as both Edwards and Cieslewicz had chances go astray.


The second period began in the same pattern that the first ended. Spender looked to pick out Routledge down the right, but it was a good interception from the Cardiff defender to head the ball to safety.

With 50 minutes played, Kurtis Byrne and Danny Redmond linked up well on the edge of the penalty area. The latter received the ball in the box but couldn’t get it under control quickly enough to test the goalkeeper.

It was a relatively quiet 15 minutes that followed for the TNS defence, but things quickly turned sour with 64 minutes gone. Redmond fouled Archers’ striker Adam Roscrow in the penalty area and the referee pointed to the spot.

It was Roscrow himself who stepped up, making no mistake in firing past Harrison and sending his side into a 1-0 goal lead.

Cardiff then dropped deep, aiming to restrict the space and frustrate the TNS attack and it seemed to be working well.

That was until, Emlyn Lewis went in late on Danny Redmond and the referee reached for his pocket to produce a second yellow card.

From that point, it really was attack against defence. TNS began piling on the pressure, with Cieslewicz firing high from the edge of the penalty area.

With three minutes remaining, and it looking like another defeat was looming for The Saints, up popped substitute Dean Ebbe, meeting a cross from the right with a strong header, leaving Alex Lang in the Cardiff goal with no chance. 1-1.

And that’s the way the score line finished, leaving The New Saints three points behind Connah’s Quay Nomads in the JD Welsh Premier League table.



Date Time League Season
1st December 2018 2:30 pm JD Cymru Premier 2018 – 2019


Park Hall Stadium
The Venue, Burma Rd, Whittington, Oswestry SY11 4AS, UK


The New Saints FC1
Cardiff Metropolitan University1

The New Saints FC

1Paul Harrison Goalkeeper
2Simon Spender Defender
6Jon Routledge Midfielder
9Greg Draper 10 Forward
10Danny Redmond 9 Midfielder
11Adrian Cieslewicz Forward
14Jamie Mullan Forward
17Dean Ebbe 21 Forward
21Kurtis Byrne 17 Forward
22Kane Lewis Defender