Saints Come Alive In The Second-Half – The New Saints FC 3-1 Connah’s Quay Nomads


Match Report

Goals: Draper (59), Pryce (68), Draper (85)

Substitutions: Pryce for Kauber (46), Clark for Spender (87)

Booking: (Pryce 90+3)

Match report by Sam Wood

The New Saints mounted a great second-half comeback as they defeated Connah’s Quay Nomads 3-1.

Scott Ruscoe’s side found themselves a goal down at half-time after Michael Bakare’s effort gave the visitors a 1-0 goal lead.

But an inspired team talk from the Saints boss ensured that his side came out fighting in the second 45 and two goals from Greg Draper and a fantastic strike from Ryan Pryce turned the game around.

TNS were under pressure early on, as a loose ball in midfield allowed visiting striker Michael Bakare to launch a counter attack, but he fired his effort wide of Paul Harrison’s left-hand post.

With 16 minutes on the clock, Dean Ebbe picked up the ball on the edge of the box. He drilled his effort low to John Danby’s left, but the Nomad’s goalkeeper managed to turn it behind for a corner.

The opening 22 minutes were unusually quiet. Neither side had any sort of chance of note, with a scrappy midfield game taking centre stage. But after 23 minutes, a good run into the box from Ryan Brobbel forced a great save from John Danby, who got down low to get a strong hand on the ball.

After 31 minutes Jon Routledge did brilliantly after collecting the ball in his own box. He took on three players before switching the play to Kauber, who did well to launch a counter-attack. Fortunately for the Nomads they were able to get bodies back and nullify any Saints threat.

But just two minutes later TNS found themselves a goal behind. Michael Bakare found space in the box, before working the ball past Paul Harrison and giving Connah’s Quay a 1-0 lead.

It was almost the perfect start to the second-half for TNS, as a foul on the edge of the Nomad’s penalty box gave Ryan Brobbel a chance to strike a free-kick. His effort was only just wide and into the side netting.

The Saints were presented with a way back into the game on 58 minutes, when sloppy Nomads’ defending resulted in the referee pointing at the penalty spot. Greg Draper, who never needs an excuse to score, fired in a powerful penalty was too strong for John Danby, despite the visiting keeper getting a hand to it, and made the score 1-1.

A good spell of pressure in the period that followed from the Saints gave them more chances on goal. It was a wonder strike from substitute Ryan Pryce on 68 minutes that gave TNS the lead though. The left-back picked up the ball on the edge of the box, opted to cut inside, and carried the ball forward 10 yards, before curling a shot past the goalkeeper.

A very quiet 15 minutes then ensued. Just moments after the Nomads’ manager Andy Morrison made two changes in search of an equalising goal, one of which included the introduction of ex-TNS man Michael Wilde, Greg Draper was on hand after 85 minutes to convert his chance and make the score 3-1 to TNS. And that’s the way the game ended, as The New Saints moved sixteen points clear at the top of the JD Welsh Premier League.


Date Time League Season
20th April 2018 7:45 pm JD Cymru Premier 2017 - 2018


Park Hall Stadium
The Venue, Burma Rd, Whittington, Oswestry SY11 4AS, UK


The New Saints FC3
Connah’s Quay Nomads1

The New Saints FC

1Paul Harrison Goalkeeper
2Simon Spender Defender
6Jon Routledge Midfielder
8Ryan Brobbel Midfielder
9Greg Draper Forward
12Blaine Hudson Defender
17Dean Ebbe Forward
19Ben Clark Midfielder
23Aeron Edwards Midfielder