A Good Night at Park Hall – The New Saints FC 2-1 Lincoln Red Imps F.C.


Match Report

The New Saints will take a 2-1 lead to Gibraltar next Thursday thanks to goals from Dean Ebbe and Blaine Hudson.

The Irishman opened the scoring after just six minutes, before the visitors managed to peg TNS back.

The score remained 1-1 right up until the 83rd minute, when Blaine Hudson was on hand to score the crucial winning goal.


The Saints were a goal to the good after just six minutes. A brilliant pass from Kane Lewis played in Jamie Mullan down the right hand side. He beat the offside trap but it appeared the ball would run long and out for a goal kick, but he did brilliantly to get a cross into the box.

Dean Ebbe controlled the ball well, before beating the keeper to make it an early lead for the Welsh Champions.

With 20 minutes on the clock, the side from Gibraltar thought they should’ve had a penalty.

Striker Falu Aranda was aggrieved when he thought a ball had bounced up onto the arm of a TNS defender, but to his dismay, the referee waved away his protests.

Lincoln did get some joy after 31 minutes though. A free-kick from 25 yards out was swung into the box and on-hand was Gibraltarian international defender, Joseph Chipolina, to head the ball past Harrison.

Having been introduced for Dean Ebbe just two minutes before, Greg Draper almost made a spectacular introduction to the match. Noticing the goalkeeper was off his line, he chipped an effort towards the vacant goal line.

Manuel Soler did brilliantly to get back and tip the ball out for a corner though.


It took until the 56th minute for the first chance of the second-half to come. An excellent ball from Danny Redmond picked out Marriott in space down the left.

He paused before driving in a cross that found Jamie Mullan in space and the number 14 should’ve made the score 2-1. His volleyed effort only found the car park behind the goal.

Danny Redmond had a chance to extend the lead with the clock showing 67 minutes. A cross from Kane Lewis on the right found him in the box, but after an initial good touch, he slipped and couldn’t reach the ball.

Redmond had another chance four minutes later. Another cross from Lewis, this time deflected into his path, but he couldn’t find the connection he wanted and the ball went out for a goal kick.

The Saints must’ve been wondering what they needed to do to find the second goal. After an excellent touch from Draper, he took the ball around the diving goalkeeper, before cutting back into the box.

On hand was Redmond once again, but his shot was cleared off the line by an away defender.

Down the other end of the pitch, Scott Ruscoe’s side suffered a scare. With 79 minutes gone, the referee awarded the away side a free-kick.

An excellent ball put invitingly into the box had three opposition players queuing up to head it and it took an outstanding point blank save from Paul Harrison to divert it behind the goal.

Patience did finally pay off though after 83 minutes. Aeron Edwards headed a ball back across the six yards box and waiting with a header of his own was Blaine Hudson. 2-1.

The win leaves the tie delicately poised ahead on next week’s second leg in Gibraltar.

Attendance: 632


Date Time League Season
26th July 2018 7:00 pm Europa League 2018 – 2019


Park Hall Stadium
The Venue, Burma Rd, Whittington, Oswestry SY11 4AS, UK


The New Saints FC2
Lincoln Red Imps F.C.1

The New Saints FC

1Paul Harrison Goalkeeper
2Simon Spender Defender
3Chris Marriott Defender
6Jon Routledge Midfielder
9Greg Draper Forward
10Danny Redmond Midfielder
11Adrian Cieslewicz Forward
12Blaine Hudson Defender
14Jamie Mullan Forward
17Dean Ebbe Forward
22Kane Lewis Defender