A Home Defeat For The League Leaders As Newtown AFC Secure The Three Points


Match Report

Goals: Cieslewicz (16)
Substitutions: Jamie Mullan for Blaine Hudson (59), Dean Ebbe for Aeron Edwards (74), Kurtis Byrne for Greg Draper (81).
Yellow cards: Aeron Edwards (28), Chris Marriott (90+4), Paul Harrison (90+5), Keston Davies (90+5)
Attendance: 341

The New Saints FC  1 Newtown AFC 2

Match report by Stewart Bloor

As we kicked off the second phase of the 2019/2020 season, the inclusion of Aeron Edwards and Chris Marriott in the starting line-up meant that they had clocked up 350 and 300 league appearances respectively for The New Saints.

Although it was a lively start to the game, we were in the sixth minute before either ‘keeper was tested. It wasn’t what the reigning champions wanted either, as a misplaced pass resulted in an Alex Fletcher shot taking a wicked deflection, before beating Paul Harrison. 0-1

Almost a quarter of an hour had passed before the home side had an attempt on goal. A ball in from the left was met by the head of Greg Draper but Dave Jones saved comfortably.

In the sixteenth minute though, the Robins’ ‘keeper was well and truly beaten. The curling shot from the right saw Adrian Cieslewicz’s strike end up in the back of the net, as The New Saints drew level. 1-1

Within five minutes though, the visitors had restored their advantage. Lifumpa Mwandwe headed home from close range, as he found himself unmarked in the penalty area. 1-2

With two minutes to go before the break, Draper went close, as his attempt to level the score ended with the ball going wide of Jones’ left post.

The striker was then denied, as the goalkeeper punched the ball away, with the New Zealand international poised to head into the net.

Half-time: The New Saints FC 1 Newtown AFC 2

A burst of pace from Cieslewicz in the 54th minute saw his low ball in the box go behind the incoming TNS players, as the league leaders continued their bright start to the second period.

As we entered the final third of the game though, Newtown continued to hold firm, as they defended their one goal advantage.

A foul on Jamie Mullan on the TNS right led to a free-kick, but it was wasted, as the ball went behind for a goal kick.

Into the final fifteen minutes, Scott Ruscoe’s side continued to push forward, but a resolute and determined Newtown maintained their lead.

Unfortunately for the home side, there were no more goals in the second-half, and it was the visitors who were celebrating come the final whistle.

Full-time: The New Saints FC 1 Newtown AFC 2


Date Time
7th February 2020 7:45 pm


The New Saints FC1

The New Saints FC

1Paul Harrison Goalkeeper
2Simon Spender Defender
3Chris Marriott Defender
4Keston Davies Defender
8Ryan Brobbel Midfielder
9Greg Draper 21 Forward
10Danny Redmond Midfielder
11Adrian Cieslewicz Forward
12Blaine Hudson 14 Defender
20Joash Nembhard Defender
23Aeron Edwards 7 Midfielder
7Dean Ebbe 23 Forward
14Jamie Mullan 12 Forward
21Kurtis Byrne 9 Forward