It’s A Second-Half Comeback, As The New Saints Beat Pen-y-Bont 2-1 At Park Hall


Match Report

Goals: Edwards (58), Cieslewicz (71)
Yellow cards: Routledge (69)
Substitutions: Edwards for Whitehouse (46), Spender for Harrington (46), Draper for Ebbe (65)

The New Saints launched a second-half comeback, as they beat newly promoted Pen-y-Bont 2-1 in their latest JD Cymru Premier fixture.

Trailing 1-0 at the break through Kane Owen’s 35th minute goal, Aeron Edwards came off the bench to equalise for his side, before Cieslewicz completed the turnaround in the 71st minute.

The win makes it nine points from 12 so far this season for Scott Ruscoe’s side, who move up to third in the JD Cymru Premier.


It was a scrappy start to the match, and both sides saw half chances fall their way in the opening few minutes.

For Pen-y-Bont, Curtis Jemmett-Hutson sent an effort go just wide of the post with two gone, before good work from the visiting defence saw a Saints attack break down.

Fresh off the back of their 10-1 win over Aberystwyth Town on bank holiday Monday, Scott Ruscoe’s side made their intent known early and continued to put the Pen-y-Bont defence under pressure.

Keston Davies almost connected math the back post with his head, as a dangerous corner was whipped into the area, before Billy Whitehouse fired over the bar from inside the box .

Down the other end, Pen-y-Bont saw appeals for a penalty waved away, and Paul Harrison needed to be alert to make a smart save to push a Jemmett-Hutson effort around the post with 30 minutes played.

Despite TNS’ pressure, the visitors were looking dangerous on the counter attack and found themselves in front in the 35th minute. Kane Owen tried his luck from outside the area and the defender saw his effort deflect in off the post, giving his side the lead and added a second goal of the season to his tally. 1-0.


Looking for inspiration from his bench, Scott Ruscoe made two changes at the break, as Aeron Edwards and Simon Spender replaced Billy Whitehouse and Ryan Harrington.

And they certainly proved to be an inspired substitutions from The Saints’ boss. With 58 minutes on the clock, it was Spender’s pinpoint cross which found the head of Edwards at the back post, giving the number 23 an easy finish to bring his side level. 1-1.

TNS had their heads up and it wasn’t long before the game had turned on its head completely. With 71 minutes gone, a mazy run from Ciesleiwcz saw the Polish midfielder cut in from the left, before he beat several players in the penalty area and sent a fine finish into the far corner. 2-1.

The Saints continued pushing and Brobbel saw an effort curl inches wide of the far post just four minutes later.

Falling behind didn’t deter Pen-y-Bont though, and Keston Davies made a superb sliding challenge on the half-way line as he stopped a breakaway in its tracks.

There were chances apiece in the final 10 minutes, with Greg Draper going close several times and drawing a good save from Wilson in the 86th minute, before TNS captain, Harrison, made a key save in stoppage time as he prevented the visitors grabbing a late equaliser.

Scott Ruscoe’s side survived the pressure though, as they picked up their 3rd win of the new JD Cymru Premier season and moved up to third.

Lead image: Josh Pearce


Date Time League Season
31st August 2019 2:30 pm JD Cymru Premier 2019 - 2020


Park Hall Stadium
The Venue, Burma Rd, Whittington, Oswestry SY11 4AS, UK


The New Saints FC2

The New Saints FC

1Paul Harrison Goalkeeper
3Chris Marriott Defender
4Keston Davies Defender
6Jon Routledge Midfielder
7Dean Ebbe 9 Forward
8Ryan Brobbel Midfielder
10Danny Redmond Midfielder
11Adrian Cieslewicz Forward
12Blaine Hudson Defender
24Ryan Harrington 2 Defender
32Billy Whitehouse 23 Midfielder
2Simon Spender 24 Defender
23Aeron Edwards 32 Midfielder
9Greg Draper 7 Forward